What are you doing today?

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I just got back from doctor visit with tendinitis in my elbows. 2 rounds of prednisone didnt do anything so my general prac. is to send me to an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation. The "tennis elbow" type pain has really limited me in work situations and even typing hurts a bit.
I had that in both elbows from shoveling sand a few years back Took 6 months to get better. Very cautious about stretching now. Bad stuff..

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
Yesterday I had an excavating company building a pad for my wifes new goat shed...today they are finishing up, a plumber will be repairing the unknown propane line they hit, and then I get to do 150 feet of 2" electrical pipe in the ditch...yay vacation

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I am taking it easy for the next few days. My friend and new neighbor is still moving stuff from Mississippi back to Ark and is making another trip to bring more "stuff" back. Since my work at home is caught up, I will just take it easy for a few days.
Once he gets back, I will use my backhoe to dig a couple hundred feet of electrical trench for some new electrical panels. Also got to burn all the brush we have piled up for the last 4 weeks if we ever get some calm winds. Got 4 big piles to burn. Also some time during winter months, we have about 5-6 acres of pine trees to trim up so a tractor with mower can access around them without ripping something off the tractor in the process. We have been doing this with him riding in the FEL and me driving him around to trim up to 12 feet high or more. It works pretty well.

Welding wise, we built 3 gate locks using hinges and horse shoes which worked pretty good. One snafu was that we had 2 hinges that looked to be stainless steel, one welded ok but the other didnt. Weld metal just laid on top of the hinge. A little grinding to remove the silvery coating proved that the hinge was solid brass, so we had to scrounge up a metal one to replace it. We figured at minimum we could use the brass one as a backer for welding when we need something that wont stick to the weld metal.

Oliver 1555

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC stick, Lincoln 140 MIG, Lincoln 256 MIG, Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG
Still hauling grain. Great “retirement” job. Not sure why it’s sideways 2BDE11D0-0DA1-43C4-8FD6-ED5F9C51C263.jpeg

California

Good Post Points
The orchard is pretty quiet this time of year. But it's not empty of life. Photo today.

Hopefully the Bobcat will get the gophers that are destroying my replacement apple trees.

P1930243rBobcat2.jpg

Enlarged out of a 20x zoom, actually 60 yards down an orchard row. Unconcerned that I saw him. He just wandered off.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
The pressure switch on my air compressor failed Friday, so while waiting for a new one to arrive, I decided to service it, clean off 25yrs of oil soaked dirt, and finally get around to changing out the drain/release valve that was becoming a PITA to open and close anymore. Figured since it hadn't been moved in nearly 20yrs, I decided to extend the drain and use a ball valve, For clearance I had to add a lift to the tanks front foot, added a section of angle iron for protection if I ever need to take it out of the garage, and raised the rear wheels to maintain a downward angle to the front for drainage,

Valve 1.jpgValve 3.jpg

Last edited:

Yomax4

Good Post Points
The pressure switch on my air compressor failed Friday, so while waiting for a new one to arrive, I decided to service it, clean off 25yrs of oil soaked dirt, and finally get around to changing out the drain/release valve that was becoming a PITA to open and close anymore. Figured since it hadn't been moved in nearly 20yrs, I decided to extend the drain and use a ball valve, For clearance I had to add a lift to the tanks front foot, added a section of angle iron for protection if I ever need to take it out of the garage, and raised the rear wheels to maintain a downward angle to the front for drainage,

View attachment 1390View attachment 1391
I did the same a few years back. No more laying on the floor to drain the water out. I hooked a short hose on mine and just spray it out the door when needed.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Similar maintenance here. I have my upright compressor mounted to a large oak pallet, so it’s easy to get to the drainage. I had to replace the old petcock during the summer, it was all corroded and scaled up. I put in/out carpet on the under side of the pallet to help with noise and vibration. It’s wired with a long cord in case I wish to locate it elsewhere in the shop, but it will probably never move from where it’s at.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Still not doing much, still waiting on the orthopedic doctor to return out calls requesting an appointment. It seems like nothing happens now with some of the doctors since Covid started. This one doesnt even answer his phone. Maybe my elbows will get better on their own. They do seem to be getting better now that I have stopped working so much.

Oliver 1555

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC stick, Lincoln 140 MIG, Lincoln 256 MIG, Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG
Looking at a new welder - Lincoln Square Wave 200. I have a place in my shop that would be a perfect home for it.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Making a smoke out of a propane tank is one of my dreams...kinda jealous...maybe someday, plenty of other projects on the burner now though

If it's something you want to do, you'll get around to it. It started with me when I was a lot younger. My dad and uncle were welders by trade. Dad was doing a little outdoor cooking one day, and I noticed the grill looked strange. It was different from anything that could be bought at the store. I asked my brother where it came from. He said, "I think daddy made it." Right then, I said I would make one. I just never got around to learning anything about welding until recently.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have all the welding equipment anyone could ever need, lots of scrap iron and nothing to build. I keep waiting for my buddy to start building something that needs trusses or something. We do have to do some welding on his trailer. Some welds that holds the tray for his loading ramps broke and he lost one ramp. The weld was just laid on top of the angle, not tied in more than an 1/8" which finally gave way. He is off for thanksgiving celebration at his girlfriends house but when he comes back, weather permitting, I will have some welding to do.

California

Good Post Points
I have all the welding equipment anyone could ever need, lots of scrap iron and nothing to build. I keep waiting for my buddy to start building something that needs trusses or something.
I feel the same way. Not nearly the investment you have, but I now have all my welding stuff dialed in, ready to go, and enough practice that I understand the settings I need for the stuff I do ... and I've run out of projects.

I could weld up my land plane but it works fine bolted so there's no need. I keep thinking I'll experiment with different angles so each blade feeds the next. but really the only deficiency is, it leaves an inch-tall berm along the sides and that's trivial, not worth cutting up its heavier gauge cross pieces (were snowplow blade spines) that I might eventually use for something more important.

If it won't go, chrome it! we used to say about hot rods. Maybe I should start painting all my old implements that I never got around to.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I feel the same way. Not nearly the investment you have, but I now have all my welding stuff dialed in, ready to go, and enough practice that I understand the settings I need for the stuff I do ... and I've run out of projects.

I could weld up my land plane but it works fine bolted so there's no need. I keep thinking I'll experiment with different angles so each blade feeds the next. but really the only deficiency is, it leaves an inch-tall berm along the sides and that's trivial, not worth cutting up its heavier gauge cross pieces (were snowplow blade spines) that I might eventually use for something more important.

If it won't go, chrome it! we used to say about hot rods. Maybe I should start painting all my old implements that I never got around to.
Paint is always good for equipment. It is getting a bit cold here for painting, it does best when above 60F and low humidity. I sold all my equipment but I did a paint job on it first. I also touched up my B26 which I wont be getting rid of as long as I can climb on it.
I worked 7 days a week for 10 years on my place to get it in shape and keep it, but now there isnt anything left to do until the next wind storm comes thru. I have been helping my buddy with his place which is adjoining our acreage. His has been neglected for many years and the fenceline were really overgrown. We have it trimmed back so the limbs arent over the fence and so close to the ground that they would brush you off the tractor but one section really needs some more attention to get out the underbrush. Sometime this winter we will tackle the 5 acres of pine trees that is in need of some limbing up to allow the tractor to mow under them. That will take a few days to complete if my buddy's arms hold out using the chain saw (I am the driver that moves him around thru the thicket on my RTV or B26 as the need arises).
That work is need to do work but not fun work like welding something up.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
It sure seems like winter this morning, 22F this morning which may not be cold for some of you, but for here, that is pretty cold. The coldest I have seen it here in the 10 years I have been here is 14F and that was from a brief artic blast. Within a day or so it was back above freezing. It is supposed to get up to around 55F by 3 pm, it is already 46. I guess I will go out and mulch some more leaves this afternoon. I have been running the mower over them about once a week. We had a high speed northern wind come thru about 10 days ago and blew all the leaves up against the fence. I got the whole yard done by just mowing and raking the leaves off the fence.

Finally got a call from the orthopedic doctors office yesterday and appointment is Friday morning to look at my elbows. Hopefully he can give me a magic shot or something to stop the pain.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Blading off 1400 feet of road down my driveway out to the main road. Cleaned up my neighbors driveways to. beautiful sunny day, about 28 degrees.

Oliver 1555

Good Post Points
Welder
I hauled my last loads of corn yesterday - beans have been done for a few weeks. My wife asked what I was going to do next. “I don’t know, maybe buy a new welder?” Lincoln Squarewave 200 coming early next week.