auto darkening helmet issue

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I am tempted to check this helmet out. It claims 1/1/1/1 clarity, has replaceable battery and 1/30,000 second response time. Best is that the most expensive one (carbon fiber look) is only $59. The only thing I dont like is that all the shade adjustments are inside the helmet so you have to remove it to set a different value but it has a bucket load of adjustments. At least with the dials inside, they wont get bumped accidently.

www.toolots.com/welding-helmet-auto-darkening-sun9b-carbon-fiber-1.html

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
Looks pretty good for the price. It has most of the features I paid $200 for. I'd say go for it. I have no problem with the internal adjustments. It usually takes only one or two anyway, and no chance of bumping the knobs.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
After perusing them more, the cheaper ones have the adjustment on the outside of the helmets. Different lens sizes also.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I just ordered this helmet. I will do a review when it comes in. I took the slow $9 shipping compared to the over $120 for 3 day air , call me cheap.

/www.toolots.com/welding-helmet-auto-darkening-sun9b-carbon-fiber-1.html

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Dealing with this issue now! Took the little "box" / lens aprt to find 2- 3volt batteries in there. Tested them and one only had 0.2 volts. I am de-soldering them and replacing with new ones. Mine is a Metal Man, I bought from Cornwell Tools. I just bought a far more superior helmet from Hobart, and a screaming good deal with a military discount.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
If you are handy you can certainly operate on the lenses that have no external batteries. I understand that you need a very low temp solder to re-solder in new batteries. Don't want the Lithium to pop.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
If you are handy you can certainly operate on the lenses that have no external batteries. I understand that you need a very low temp solder to re-solder in new batteries. Don't want the Lithium to pop.
I use a Weller BP645 battery operated soldering tool, which is great for small circuit boards.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I noticed that my old HF hood looks like it has water between the lens covers. I guess that would be a good one to experiment on. My TOOLLOTS hood looks like it should be delivered today. UPS transferred it to USPS yesterday so maybe they will deliver it today.
I have one of the COLD HEAT battery powered soldering guns that should work for the batteries.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I just got my new hood from TOOL LOTS.com. I got the carbon fiber looking one (not carbon fiber though) and the lens is really clearer than the HF one. It is really light and has a great headband. I have been welding and plasma cutting with it and it works great.

Timy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Digital Elite
I use this auto darkening welding helmet, very cheap, but I love to wear it, the helmet works fine.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I use this auto darkening welding helmet, very cheap, but I love to wear it, the helmet works fine.
Which welding hood are you talking about. Did you get one from TOOLOTS also? Mine is the lightest hood I have ever used and has a really comfortable headband.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Which welding hood are you talking about. Did you get one from TOOLOTS also? Mine is the lightest hood I have ever used and has a really comfortable headband.

This one

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
The lower cost helmets usually don't have a replaceable battery from what I've seen. The Harbor Freight helmets are throwaways. I saw a YouTube video where a guy opened one up and soldered a new battery in. I tried, but gave up pretty quick.

I had an Arcone Carrera. The whole filter is replacement on those. I forget what it costs to replace it though. I ended up giving it away though. No loss. Someone gave it to me.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The lower cost helmets usually don't have a replaceable battery from what I've seen. The Harbor Freight helmets are throwaways. I saw a YouTube video where a guy opened one up and soldered a new battery in. I tried, but gave up pretty quick.

I had an Arcone Carrera. The whole filter is replacement on those. I forget what it costs to replace it though. I ended up giving it away though. No loss. Someone gave it to me.
Replaceable battery is one reason I got the hood from Tool lots.com plus the claimed clarity, speed, light weight, good headband, etc.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Replaceable battery is one reason I got the hood from Tool lots.com plus the claimed clarity, speed, light weight, good headband, etc.
I haven't gotten to the point where I worry about anything other than the price. I'm nowhere near a professional. If I don't get blinded, it's good enough for now. Whenever this one kicks the bucket, I'll step up to something a little more robust.

I do know that even if the battery dies in an auto darkening helmet, your eyes shouldn't get burned. It will still protect you from the dangerous rays, but you will see spots from the brightness. I saw spots and dots for a couple of days behind bad batteries in a helmet.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Spots, yeah. Just like when you forget to take the helmet off grind mode before welding.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Spots, yeah. Just like when you forget to take the helmet off grind mode before welding.
I don't have that problem with my helmet. No grind mode to forget about. I tried to grind in it once. I couldn't see what I was grinding. Went dark at the first spark. The Arcone Carrera had a grind mode. Either I didn't know how to use it, or it didn't work very well. Dark at the first spark.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
On all my helmets with grind mode, you have to turn the dial to grind. They dont do it automatically. The one I have now has 3switch positions: grind, 4-9 and 9-13. Then you have to set the rotary dial to the setting you want

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I don't remember exactly how the Arcone was set up. If I recall correctly, there was a switch that set the sensitivity. If I went to the lowest setting, and kept turning it would click to go into grind mode. But since it would go dark, I couldn't grind what I couldn't see. I never played with it enough to figure out if it was me or the helmet. I pretty much grab the Harbor Freight helmet just about every time.