auto darkening helmet issue

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
So I have a Radnor helmet with solar battery power. It's probably ten or twelve years old by now, not really sure. I don't use it all that much any more since diminished eyesight has made welding much more complicated for me over the past few years. I had a good opportunity today with a backyard project that requires some welding, all outdoors where daylight helps me keep track of where the arc is going. Trouble is my helmet was having none of it. It acts like it's not turned on. No help at all. Adjustments make no difference. I wonder do the batteries in these things go bad over time and need replacement, or is it more likely something else?

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
Hi Fedup, Sounds to me that you need to replace your battery. I find with my three helmets that batteries last about three years, then need to be replaced. Mine are indoors in my shop ,so no solar gain. They do charge as you are welding. This works if you use them, Just setting around your battery is most likely dead and you need to replace it.

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
Nothing special about them. I get mine from the battery plus store here in Nevada. I think any welding supply store could help you out.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Heck, from the few I've seen, they simply use a 3 volt lithium cell.
I got the impression most are generic 'guts' and perhaps a few don't have a charging ability.
Either way I leave mine in such a way that it is exposed to sunlight hopefully to extend the charge as I am only an occasional welder.
OH, and my 'test' is to flick my Bick (lighter) looking for an instant response.

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
Well I got the unit out of the helmet brackets, (except for the wires leading to the control knobs) and looked it over from both sides. I don't see where anything comes apart to expose a battery. I do however see where the solar panel appears to have a crack in what looks like a glass plate on the front side. I don't think I did that just slipping it out of the bracket.

I think maybe I should just take it back where I bought it and see if someone there can straighten me out.

CB

Good Post Points
I have a Radnor helmet with solar battery power. It's probably ten or twelve years old... I don't use it all that much anymore. Trouble is my helmet acts like it's not turned on. Adjustments make no difference. I wonder do the batteries in these things go bad over time and need replacement?

I looked it over from both sides. I don't see where anything comes apart to expose a battery. I think maybe I should just take it back where I bought it and see if someone there can straighten me out.

If they take it back after 10 or 12 years of use, infrequent or not, give them all your business when it comes to welding supplies!

Some auto darkening helmets, particularly the older ones, and the cheaper ones, do not have interchangeable or field replaceable batteries. The cheapest Harbor Freight auto darkening helmets do not have user replaceable batteries. They are throw away helmets. Harbor Freight does sell one helmet that has a user replaceable lithium battery (a button cell watch battery commonly available at any drugstore or supermarket), but that model helmet (branded as "Vulcan") costs 5 times more than HF's $39.00 on sale loss leader auto darkening helmet.

Some older design solar charged auto darkening helmets from high end brands such as Optrel, from Switzerland, who introduced the "Solarmatic" to the welding industry in the mid 1980's, also did not have user replaceable batteries. Some designs permitted replacement of the entire auto darkening cartridge, but by the time one priced out a replacement cartridge, buying an entire new helmet with refreshed head gear and a better shell design made a lot more "cents". Again, throw away helmet.

Your Radnor helmet is both older, and cheaper. Radnor is a "house brand" of Airgas, created in the late 1990's when Airgas bought IPCO and Lyons Safety, and created their own brand name to get supplies cheaper. Much of Radnor is made in China, whether it is gas cups or welding helmets. An older, "value oriented", imported helmet is not likely worth saving, unless you can A) replace the cartridge with one that fits, provided that B) a cartridge is still available that fits in that old of a helmet, or C) the helmet is sized to received an industry standard dimensioned auto darkening cartridge model, presuming that D) the cost of the cartridge is reasonable and lower than the cost of an entire new helmet.

Your cartridge is done. Like any battery that isn't maintained with frequent recharging, it self discharges to the point where it will no longer accept a charge. You said that you didn't use your helmet all that much, which means that the solar cell charger didn't see enough UV arc light to generate charging voltage. Unless you hang your ADF helmets outside facing the southern sky for full sun exposure (I've done this), the built in, captive battery inside will eventually self discharge irrecoverably, lacking use from arc time. And even used every night, and hung in the sun every day, there are only so many charging cycles a battery can endure before breaking down, and your built in battery is more than a decade old.

Get a new helmet. A model with a user replaceable battery, and a provision for inserting cheater lenses to assist with your diminishing eyesite. And do report back if the store where you bought your old one from actually takes it back and refunds your money or credits you the difference. That would make a fun story to tell. Otherwise, I save parts from old helmets, and mix and match these salvaged parts to make hybrid helmets with the head gear from this one attached to the shell of that one combined with the bib of the other one, and put in a new gold filter for the lens, etc.

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
I never said anything about expecting any sort of warranty/return for credit type of thing. Only that someone more knowledgeable might look at it and tell me if I'm missing something.

After what I've learned here I decided to simply put the unit back in place and set it out in the sun for the day. (looks like mostly sunny today for a change) Will give it another quick check maybe later this afternoon. If it comes back great, if not it's on to the hunt for a new helmet. I had an old cardboard fixed lens helmet that I bought back in the 1970's. I used it for years before I got this one. Finally got tired of moving it around and tossed it about a year ago. If I hadn't done that I could have finished my project yesterday.

Slider909

Good Post Points
Welder
50 Year Old SEARS
I've had a cheap one for years. A few months ago I purchased a good Hobart one, what a world of difference. You get what you pay for.

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
Well, "a day in the sun" got me nowhere. Looks like I need to shop for another helmet.
I've had a cheap one for years. A few months ago I purchased a good Hobart one, what a world of difference. You get what you pay for.
So what did you get and where did you get it? Just curious(maybe a little nosy too)

bigb

Good Post Points
I don't know what your budget is but you said you have diminished eyesight, I bought a Jackson Truesight several years ago and I couldn't be happier with it, There was a big difference in what I could see compared to my old Miller hood. They do cost close to $300 though. The headgear is cheap but replaceable for about $15, mine is holding up fine but a few have complained about that. The vision is amazing.

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
While I understand the better quality shade will be more than just a little helpful with my poor eyesight, I'm not sure I can justify $300+ for a helmet right now given my limited use. On the other hand, I suppose if I tried one and compared it to a cheaper one, I could easily think differently. We don't often miss what we've never had.

I think I paid just over $100 for the Radnor when I bought it. I think it's served me well enough until the last couple years with the eyesight issues. Decisions, decisions.

Norm W

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 225, Lincoln Tombstone 225 stick, Montgomery Wards DC converter, Hobart mig
I have a HF helmet that is about 18 years old. It still works and is fitted with a 2x cheater lens. I have kept it hanging in an east facing widow when not in use, so battery life hasn't been a problem.

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Primeweld AC-DC TIG Stick, Powermax45, Lincoln 225
I replaced my auto darkening helmets three times in the last 11-12 years.
I just changed again and got the "New Improved Blue View" from Amazon. It is a world of difference from the old green view from the older helmets.
It runs about a hundred bucks. I listened to one reviewer and also upgraded the head gear to a $30 Lincoln brand, the head gear that comes with the helmet is flimsy and will not support the helmet and who needs that aggravation.
My 66 year old eyes are amazed at what can be seen with this helmet.
I didn't want to sound like a shill for the company, so no link.
Just search Amazon for blue light or similar in the welding helmets.
It was about $130-$140 total.
Oh I also bought 3x cheater lenses, you get two lenses at a price of around $8-$10 bucks AND they are glass and slip right in.
THAT is a huge improvement, at least I can sometimes see what I am welding.
It is worth the money, especially needed for TIG.

Don_

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
After perusing the Cyberweld site for a while (maybe quite a while) I came to this option.

https://store.cyberweld.com/lincoln-viking-3350-welding-helmet-k-3034-4.html

It may well be a waste of money in my case for the amount of welding I do, but it would be nice to see what I'm doing for a change. I'm thinking the larger viewing area would be a plus too. It will accept the cheater lens as well.

I didn't see anything concerning blue view on Amazon, but I didn't search all that long.

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
Check out the ESAB Savage A40 on Cyberweld. I use one & like it for $90 bucks. Like it better than the Miller digital elite @ $400 bucks. (Don't want to scratch that one, so I use it for TIG only)

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Fedup, Looks like a good helmet,Wide View, Clear light, Replaceable battery, etc. The wide view and clear light makes life in the welding world great. Spend the money on a good helmet.

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
Never thought I'd spend this much time studying and discussing options on a welding helmet. Wow! With my old cardboard Hunstman, about the only option I had was when to change the plastic lens shields before they got so bad I couldn't see at all. Now I'm wondering about control knobs. My Radnor has external knobs, which I thought might be good when I bought it, but soon realized they get bumped/moved inadvertently, providing a surprise or two on occasion. When that happens I tend to reach up and make adjustments without removing the hood, and I usually get it wrong. Wrong knob, wrong way, something. I see the Lincoln I'm leaning toward has internal knobs, so accidental movement(or blind adjustments) probably won't happen.