Anvil’s

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I see the older ones are pretty pricey. I don't even want to check the price of a quality new one.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Nice anvil, but crazy money
Really not so nice, did you see the long crack on the tail end of it. With that crack, it isnt worth $50. It might be salvageable by grinding out and welding up that crack, but for that kind of money, I would expect it to be in perfect condition.

Last edited:

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
This inexpensive little (55 lbs) HF Anvil works out fine. I’ve been doing lots of smashing lead, with a sledge, to test for hardness. Kinda, between a Rock and a hard place.

California

Good Post Points
This inexpensive little (55 lbs) HF Anvil works out fine. I’ve been doing lots of smashing lead, with a sledge, to test for hardness. Kinda, between a Rock and a hard place.
This is good to know. I had assumed a HF anvil would be a waste of time. But if you like yours, that's encouraging me to get one.

I have a couple of 12" chunks of heavy railroad rail that I use now. Usable but the shape isn't ideal. The HF anvil likely isn't as hard as these rails.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Just be careful, I think those things are cast iron rather than a good anvil that is cast steel. Cast is very hard but brittle so it holds till it wont then you own both pieces.

sonny580

Good Post Points
Mine is a 200 pounder --- VERY old one. --- has a deafning ring when you hit it. dont have any dings on it from use either, so dont know what its made from but in its time, must have cost a fortune!
I have beat on it for 65 years and it still kooks great.
as for the hf stuff----its not even in the running!

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I suspect the HF anvil will just be a dull thud when struck, but I could be wrong, It might be a sharp thud.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Yes, the HF special sounds like it’s in a wooden box when struck. No ring at all, more like a knock on a Metal door

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Just be careful, it will likely chip easily on the corners and completely break in half if struck too hard. I suspect it is also hollow so if will be very weak.

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
Check out water jet guys on Utube. They cut one in to & found a cavity that was filled with bondo. So - depends on how the casting went when it was poured. If they got a good pour your good. If they didn't you may have a bondo anvil.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Check out water jet guys on Utube. They cut one in to & found a cavity that was filled with bondo. So - depends on how the casting went when it was poured. If they got a good pour your good. If they didn't you may have a bondo anvil.

That's some air bubble they found.

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
I agree, Chinese stuff is not so good ,but people buy it anyway because it"s cheap compared to American made goods. I myself try to buy all American made goods. As for my shop , I only buy american made stuff. I have found in the past, Chinese stuff does not last, has poor if any quality control , tools are not balanced well, the quality of the tools have a lot to be desired. Just my two cents on this subject.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Agreed, most of the HF stuff is disposable. I don’t buy power tools from them, just temporary tools to beat on. I used to think that there flap wheels, grinder discs, etc were a good deal but you can get much better quality for the same price

Harp 031

Good Post Points
Welder
3 millers, 5 Lincoln, liquid air, victor,. stick, tig ,wire.
If you just need an anvil to beat on a chunk of large equipment works, if you want a little better I would look for a piece of heavy crop from a steel sales place or a machine shop welding shop that repair heavy equip. The QT 200 is good for an excellent shop anvil and the others like qt 400 or 500 is better just harder to work and around mining areas the scrap is usually tossed out. We worked with up to 4 in thick plates and the trim ends make great anvils.