Aluminum Jon Repair

Gary Fowler

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
I haven't used a spool gun in 50 years since my days in the army fixing armored personnel carriers but it worked pretty well for the first try. Spot welding would be ok on thin stuff but trying to weld sheet metal takes some real talent.

Gary Fowler

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
All those bb's flying everywhere is a good reason to invest in an ARC PIG so I can use my TIG torch and Miller 250 dial arc to weld aluminum. I just need to replenish my disposable income funds a bit. Last month my Mastercard bill was $5K due to some major patio furniture purchases and my welding / tool purchases. Patio looks nice now and my shop tools are looking very satisfying. If I can get my plasma back and working I will just about be set (except for the arc pig). So far though, those loading ramps are the only thing I have needed to weld aluminum and those were a friends.

Gary Fowler

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Load tested the loading ramps and they didnt quite hold the weight of my RTV 900 before breaking right in the middle of the weld. Better than when my buddy welded them, they broke when he bounce on it in the middle. I think we need to cut all that off and get some heavier hinge material. Weld if not pulling loose from the base metal, just breaking in the middle of the joint where it was originally broke. With the design we cant put any reinforcement on it or strapping to increase the strength because then it wont fold up. More on this much later when we find some aluminum to make some hinges.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Got a 2+ yr old, 8 point last night. My biggest deer to date... Season is shaping up well.

Gary Fowler

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
I hear a few gun discharges from time to time which has got all the deer hunkered down. I havent seen any eyes shining at night in my pasture in a few weeks now although I have seen a doe or two crossing the road in front of me during the daylight hours.