Use for new TIG machine

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Today the exhaust for my Kubota RTV900 completely broke off right at the flange onto the exhaust manifold. Tomorrow I will look at it and see I need to TIG weld it or use my FCAW machine . If I need to TIG it, I have to go buy a bottle of argon. I will post results later and possibly post some photos.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I didnt take photos, but the little Titanium 125 amp FCAW machine from Harbor Freight did a great job on the exhaust pipe on my Kubota. Except for the excess amount of buckshot that it generates, it did a fine job with pretty good penetration and only a couple of blow outs that filled in easily. I also found a piece of muffler pipe in my scrap yard that was just a bit larger than the OD of my pipe and was able to make a reinforcement sleeve to weld to the pipe and the manifold attachment plate. I think now it is better than new.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I did purchase a 125 CF Argon bottle yesterday to run the TIG with but my 220 plug for my welding machine is different from the one that came on my Everlast 206 machine. I have to go to town to find a 3 prong flat plug for it. I Think it is a typical 30 amp plug whereas my welding receptacle is 4 prong.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I did ask my LWS if they sold 240 CF cylinders and they DONT. One reason is because most folks wouldnt want to pay the $600 cost. The other reason is because many of the commercial end users buy their own bottles and just swap them out so they only have a few that they actually own.
My 125 CF bottle cost me a bit over $300 after tax.

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
Gary, Most of the newer welders,Tig, Mig, Etc. come with the 3 prong flat plug. It uses 2 hot wires and a ground ,no netural, Where as the 4 prong uses the netural as well as 2 hot wires and a ground. An adapter you can buy from Miller at most welding supply stores. I ran into the same problem in my shop. Got the adapter and all is great. You can make your own adapter by buying a 4 prong male plug and a 3 prong female flat plug. A 2ft. piece of 4 wire and wire it yourself, Much more cost effective than buying Millers adapter. I paid around 80 dollars for mine, Then made some myself, way less money.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I got a buddy to pick me up a receptacle at my local hardware store. He said they had 6 or more different plugs/ receptacles for welding machines. The one I have wired to my Miller is a 50 amp 4 slot but it accepts a 3 prong 50 amp plug also. It is a little too wide for my Everlast plug though. I solved the problem by scavenging the circuit that I had ran for my 50 amp camper plug. It was 3 number 6 (or maybe 4 gauge) with a bare ground which is required for the 50 amp camper plug. I used the black, red and white wire (white is ground wire) and it works great. I built a hanger and coiled up a few feet to use as an extension if needed.
I had sold my camper last year and that wire was not ever going to be used again. I couldnt salvage the underground portion, but it had about 40 feet of wire inside my shop that I just rerouted and got about 15 feet to use as an extension if needed.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have used all the functions on the Everlast 206 and it welds very good. I picked up a furniture mover at HF today just for the wheels. Caster wheel were $4.99 each for the cheapest ones and the 4 wheel mover dolly was just $10. I will use those to fab a new welding dolly for my little MIGLite 100 machine. It is just too busy for two machines on one dolly. I think I have enough tubing to fab up a nice table top roll around.