Tri-Mix or Co2

Freezzman

Good Post Points
Welder
Various
I had good luck with both. At a welding shop i worked at we used Co2 with no problems and good welds. Later on at a food processing plant the specked Tri-mix the only difference is we used it on a lot of Stainless Steel.
I still use Tri-Mix at the home shop it's more expensive. Remember if your using Co2 and want to switch you need a tank adapter
Freezzman.

pull-do

Good Post Points
Welder
trailblazer, tweco fabricator
We always used the tri-mix on stainless only, according to our procedures, co2 on carbon was the norm for some industries but our procedure called for 75/25 for carbon..
I don't know if you were asking a question or just making a statement.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I wouldn't go to the expense of tri-mix unless what I was welding required it. Heck 75/25 is not cheap so why pay more when you dont get any value (unless you are doing spray arc MIG). I have never tried using straight CO2 but I have heard it works OK on carbon steel but may get some porosity. Some porosity is acceptable in structural welds but not in pressure piping welds. I have always used 75/25 on heavy construction jobs when welding mild steel. We never GMAW stainless steel, always TIG welded it. MIG was mostly used for structural steel. Some of the heavy wall pipe would be TIG welded for the root pass the Sub Arc Weld the filler and cap as long as it could be rolled.