Trailer spare tire mount

panamaguy

Good Post Points
Welder
Many
Dad needed a tire mount for his spare tire on his trailer, so figured it was a good little project to do.

Used up some 5/8 x 3" wide flat bar to create a 9x9" square piece, then plasma cut a 160cm circle out of it to make the back plate.

Welded some threaded rod in to allow the tire to be fastened.

Used up some used rectangular tubing for the arm be and another 5/8 x 3"x10" for the trailer frame back plate.

Finished welding it all on the trailer at 11pm with a small light.

Overall happy with it. Lessons learned was to be more careful when I welded the trailer plate to the arm as it distorted a bit. Nothing a few clamps didn't fix.

Lessons that keeps saving my butt are to prep better, tack weld always first and take my time.

Dad will do paint.
Should have used real wheel studs. 3 Is lots and one of them would be from a early Dodge from the left hand side of the vehicle. They used left hand thread on the left side and right hand on the right side. The thieves get 2 lugnuts off but never the third. The more they try the tighter they make it.

g0liath

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 140, Forney 100, AHP 201 XD
I welded my version of spare tire mount to my new 5’x14’ utility trailer and was proud of my welding and jury rigging. Tire cost $100.00 at the time I bought the trailer. Several weeks later I happened to notice tire was missing. My first thought was dang someone stole the tire. Closer inspection revealed all my welds broken. I have no idea when I lost the tire but it must have broken off on the highway. Pretty dangerous for folks driving in opposite direction. Bottom line is I’m a poor excuse for a welder.
That's always a fear for sure that you'll hurt someone. I made sure to overbuild every part. And I doubled welded most places to guarantee it not coming off. Back roads are tough and trailer always takes a beating.

Keep practicing and you'll get better. Make sure you know you're getting the penetration you need. I see a lot of folk just rush the weld, but I find it's more about reading and moving that hot puddle properly than getting across the finish line.

Good luck!!

gwtx

Good Post Points
Dad needed a tire mount for his spare tire on his trailer, so figured it was a good little project to do.

Used up some 5/8 x 3" wide flat bar to create a 9x9" square piece, then plasma cut a 160cm circle out of it to make the back plate.

Used up some used rectangular tubing for the arm be and another 5/8 x 3"x10" for the trailer frame back plate.

Overall happy with it. Lessons learned was to be more careful when I welded the trailer plate to the arm as it distorted a bit. Nothing a few clamps didn't fix.

Lessons that keeps saving my butt are to prep better, tack weld always first and take my time.

Dad will do paint.

gwtx

Good Post Points

Dad will do paint.
Looks good. Looks more like 3/8" flat :) Good job.