Trailer spare tire mount

g0liath

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 140, Forney 100, AHP 201 XD
Dad needed a tire mount for his spare tire on his trailer, so figured it was a good little project to do.

Used up some 5/8 x 3" wide flat bar to create a 9x9" square piece, then plasma cut a 160cm circle out of it to make the back plate.

Welded some threaded rod in to allow the tire to be fastened.

Used up some used rectangular tubing for the arm be and another 5/8 x 3"x10" for the trailer frame back plate.

Finished welding it all on the trailer at 11pm with a small light.

Overall happy with it. Lessons learned was to be more careful when I welded the trailer plate to the arm as it distorted a bit. Nothing a few clamps didn't fix.

Lessons that keeps saving my butt are to prep better, tack weld always first and take my time.

Dad will do paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20200918_071601.jpg
    IMG_20200918_071601.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20200918_071541.jpg
    IMG_20200918_071541.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_20200918_071553.jpg
    IMG_20200918_071553.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20200918_071546.jpg
    IMG_20200918_071546.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 193

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
That is the first time I have saw one of those temp. tires on a trailer. I was under the impression that those things cost more than a full sized tire and since space isnt an issue on trailers, most trailers that come with a spare are full sized tires. Of course many dont come with a spare at all.

The carrier looks good though.

g0liath

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 140, Forney 100, AHP 201 XD
Thanks, I got some feedback to make sure not to use grade 8 threaded rod as they break (will have to check) and also supposedly weakens the frame unless you preheat and heat to cool.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
That mount looks good and is a good option I may use on my trailer. Right now my trailer just has a piece of angle with one piece of threaded rod to hold the tire that's mounted right where I want to mount a front tool box. Pics are from when I straightened the forward leaning jack. Want to replace that jack and move it forward for more room to mount a tool box and design a mount for the tire to sit either in front of the box or out to the side if there's no room for the tire... Its a project I have in mind for later...20200822_103002.jpg20200822_100623.jpg

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Last time I made a spare tire carrier was for my 1978 Ford truck. I moved it from underneath and up against the center of the bed (made it more difficult for a thief to reach from the ground). I just drilled the holes to fit lug bolts and pounded 3 of them into the center mount and welded the back side for safety. That way my lug wrench fit both the truck tires and the spare. No need for a separate wrench to take off the spare that way.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Dad needed a tire mount for his spare tire on his trailer, so figured it was a good little project to do.

Used up some 5/8 x 3" wide flat bar to create a 9x9" square piece, then plasma cut a 160cm circle out of it to make the back plate.

Welded some threaded rod in to allow the tire to be fastened.

Used up some used rectangular tubing for the arm be and another 5/8 x 3"x10" for the trailer frame back plate.

Finished welding it all on the trailer at 11pm with a small light.

Overall happy with it. Lessons learned was to be more careful when I welded the trailer plate to the arm as it distorted a bit. Nothing a few clamps didn't fix.

Lessons that keeps saving my butt are to prep better, tack weld always first and take my time.

Dad will do paint.
Very nice clean job.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
That is a nice clean mount. Last one I made was using a broke off axle head with studs already on it. It made it easy for me, and looked pretty good too. The trailer was the same pattern as my pickup and bronco. 5x5 1/2

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
That is a nice clean mount. Last one I made was using a broke off axle head with studs already on it. It made it easy for me, and looked pretty good too. The trailer was the same pattern as my pickup and bronco. 5x5 1/2
That is by far the simplest and neatest way to make one. Might be a little hard to find one on short notice though. A friend was just complaining last night that if is ridiculous how trailer manufactures have so many hole patterns for the same sized/rated rim.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
A lot of bronco guys pulled their original axles and replaced them with chrome molly larger spline count axles. Many a stock axle had candy cane spiral lines in them from years of use. I gave away a few axles when I moved one time as my trailer has a different pattern now. Start looking for an axle head now, so you will have it for or your next project

esox07

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Weld Pack 3200HD
Strangely enough, A spare tire mount was the first project I undertook when I got my first welder. I didn't do it the same as you did, but having a place to hold and store the spare for a trailer just seemed like a no brainer. I am not sure why every trailer doesn't come from the factory with a mount.

• Good Post
Reactions: MC

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Strangely enough, A spare tire mount was the first project I undertook when I got my first welder. I didn't do it the same as you did, but having a place to hold and store the spare for a trailer just seemed like a no brainer. I am not sure why every trailer doesn't come from the factory with a mount.
Of course you do, they want to sell it as an accessory for 4 times what it cost to make!

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller

They do it so they can keep the prices as low as possible. Many people will just look at the lowest priced trailer first, not checking to see that for $200 more you get $400 worth of extras

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
They do it so they can keep the prices as low as possible. Many people will just look at the lowest priced trailer first, not checking to see that for $200 more you get $400 worth of extras
My trailer came with a spare tire and mount and was still the cheapest trailer I could find at the time. A 20 ft. with 4 ft. dovetail carhauler, rear slide in ramps, 12K tongue jack, brakes on both of the 6000# axles for $2700 in 2010. I suspect prices have gone up considerably since then.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
My old trailer was $429. Back in around 1990. It’s a little heavier than a newer model, but has served me well. It still doesn’t have a mount, as I have the spare on the A frame tongue with a cable thru it and my ramps. I’ve had the strap, that was holding it on the old mount, unhooked, and the spare removed (2 lugnuts holding it in place too) while camped in an RV Park in Utah.

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
A good way to fab a spare mount - use a plate with a piece of strap welded in the center. Slot the strap for a wedge shaped piece. Cut a circle that will slide over the strap, drop the wedge in the slot, & padlock thru a hole in the bottom of the wedge.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I didn’t want to mount the spare on a solid mount, so if I haul the bronco and a quad, I can pull the bronco forward, and put the bumper out over the A frame slightly. That gives me room to drive the quad across the back sideways.then I just place the spare under the bronco

Weldingisfun

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 140 and Hobart 140
My choice is to put the spare tire mount on the front of the trailer. More added weight on the front for a livestock trailer.

Attachments

• mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Left Frt.jpg
    Left Frt.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 22

Hank

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart
I welded my version of spare tire mount to my new 5’x14’ utility trailer and was proud of my welding and jury rigging. Tire cost $100.00 at the time I bought the trailer. Several weeks later I happened to notice tire was missing. My first thought was dang someone stole the tire. Closer inspection revealed all my welds broken. I have no idea when I lost the tire but it must have broken off on the highway. Pretty dangerous for folks driving in opposite direction. Bottom line is I’m a poor excuse for a welder.