Titanium 125 -results of open butt root and fill

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I think I finally have some photos of my test weld that I did with the Titanium 125. First photo is the back side of the root and second is the front. It came out pretty good considering the small amount of prep that I did, the first time I used the machine AND the first time I have welded flux core. I have did a few MIG welds in my lifetime but it has been over 25 years since I did any wire feed welding at all. My eyes are as good and my hands arent as steady but I think I did OK>

Attachments

• IMG_0048[1].JPG
    IMG_0048[1].JPG
    779 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0052[1].JPG
    IMG_0052[1].JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 18

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
That was using the Chicago Electric brand that came with the machine. I did use a power brush on it. The Vulcan wire works a lot better with this machine. I really like the Welcote brand that Yomax sent me. The Lincoln NR211 works well also. Not only was it the first time welding with a wire feeder in a long time, it was the first open root weld that I tried. I ran a few inches of weld prior to this weld to get the wire feed and voltage set about right, G6 on the machine works best for all welding, if I go on thinner material, I just turn down the G to E,D or even C for really thin and leave it a 6 on the speed and it welds just as good just not as hot.

Last edited:

California

Good Post Points
Was that Weldkote's E71T-GS sold in 2 lb spools plus 10 and 25 lb size, or their E71T-11 that only comes in 10 lb spools?

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
it is the E71T-11 if I recall correctly in a 10 # spool. It seems to run a bit differently from the Lincoln NR-211 but it is very smooth welding. I havent tried open butt root with it though.

California

Good Post Points
it is the E71T-11 if I recall correctly in a 10 # spool. It seems to run a bit differently from the Lincoln NR-211 but it is very smooth welding. I havent tried open butt root with it though.
After using various brands of -GS flux core I've settled on E71T-11 as best for me. This photo I posted in another thread is Hobart E71T-11 .035. A little too much current (or moving too slow) starting from the left but that would be acceptable work. Then trials reducing the current moving toward the right. Then back to slightly low in the rightmost bead. These beads are smoother than any past work with -GS flux wire.

Ebay prices on various brands of E71T-11 look very reasonable. Since that's a formal specification they should all weld about the same, no?

Last edited:

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Ebay prices on various brands of E71T-11 look very reasonable. Since that's a formal specification they should all weld about the same, no?
[/QUOTE]

You made me look, and now my curiosity is getting the best of me. Ten pounds for less than $40 looks very interesting. I might have to try a small spool and do some destructive testing and cut and etch to see what it's made of.