Show me your smoker!

sea2summit

Good Post Points
Found a 250 gal propane tank that’s almost at the right price. Show me what you’ve built!

I want to build something big enough for half a pig or so for church picnics and whatnot.

sea2summit

Good Post Points
Has anyone seen a 250 gal propane tank on a swivel so you could have a large bed for doing a whole hog or rotate it for an upright smoker?

Random idea that’s bouncing around in my very small brain.

Rancher Ed

Good Post Points
I've never seen one but I don't think it would be too hard. The swivel and mounting base would need to be sized appropriately, but it should definitely be doable. Here's a quick sketch I did showing a 55" long door (1/4 of the diameter) that would hinge on the left when vertical and top when horizontal. You would need multi-piece racks for switching from horizontal to vertical, and would also need to figure out where to introduce the smoke and heat.
For reference a 250 gallon propane tank is 30" in diameter and 92" long; my mounting post is 60" tall to the flat top, leaving about 6" clearance when the smoker is vertical.
Horizontal Smoker Mount.JPG
Vertical Smoker Mount.JPG

sea2summit

Good Post Points
I've never seen one but I don't think it would be too hard. The swivel and mounting base would need to be sized appropriately, but it should definitely be doable. Here's a quick sketch I did showing a 55" long door (1/4 of the diameter) that would hinge on the left when vertical and top when horizontal. You would need multi-piece racks for switching from horizontal to vertical, and would also need to figure out where to introduce the smoke and heat.
For reference a 250 gallon propane tank is 30" in diameter and 92" long; my mounting post is 60" tall to the flat top, leaving about 6" clearance when the smoker is vertical.
View attachment 180
View attachment 181
I’m thinking a stationary heat source with two exhausts right now, just close the one your not using. I’ve got to actually get a tank to start drawing/playing with it.