Shielded inert gas metal arc.

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder
Horbart TR300, Marquette MIG, Union Carbide Linde DAL300HFGW
Does anyone know if Shielded Inert Gas Metal Arc is an alternative name for MIG welding. I have a S.I.G.M.A control switch and 3 pin twist outlet connected to a separate internal contactor coil on my P&H second generation style Union Carbide Linde Tig welder. I am hoping to use my welder constant current along with a Hobart (Miller) 60 series wire feeder constant voltage only. I have no manual, I do have a partial circuit diagram with one corner section missing for the welder, what I can read shows the 24volt supply for the control circuit and an auxiliary reactor coil? Is this auxiliary reactor coil used to give a constant voltage in SIGMA control. This welder was probably built in the 60s but still works with stick and TIG. I purchased it recently and I am still in learning mode with the unit.

mode?69BA9116-4AA4-4192-9B24-5A5B8BBDC3E3.jpeg5395A862-3A9B-492E-AC05-B2B1DA3BD478.jpeg

Last edited:

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder

Thanks Dee. I had tried a few searches but was unable to find a definitive answer; now I have - thanks.

I have been communicating with a seller on a Hobart 62 series wire feeder. I will next have to figure out how to wire everything as the Hobart S-62 wire feeder has a 24vac drive and is controlled using a14 pin contactor control/power cord. My welder has only the 3 pin twist connection receptacle so a bit of head scratching until I figure our how to connect the two.

California

Good Post Points
You sure this project is worthwhile?

I Googled your welder model. All I found was quotes of you, on several sites that all linked to a single Russian site that wanted to steal your credit card.

I'm not convinced that the documentation you want, is out there.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
I agree, is this worth it? This machine has a place, if its a hobby its ok, if its free its ok but it wouldnt be for me to cobble a feeder on to it.

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder
You sure this project is worthwhile?

I Googled your welder model. All I found was quotes of you, on several sites that all linked to a single Russian site that wanted to steal your credit card.

I'm not convinced that the documentation you want, is out there.
Thanks for trying - I have spent many hours searching the internet without any success, hopefully they did not get my credit card details!

I have come to the same conclusion regarding documentation. At least the unit works; adding MIG would be a bonus, I will explore the option until I solve it or run out of energy.

California

Good Post Points
Just watch your credit card statement for a while if you gave anyone your CC. Maybe until its expiration date when it will get a new security code on the back.

I once had a septic tank pumped. Driver's girlfriend was with him, she phoned in my credit card to pay for it. But she said the first call failed so she called another number.

Next day Mastercard phoned me asking additional authorization for purchase in Kazakhstan (between Russia and China) of a propane delivery large enough for all winter. Couple thousand dollars.

Uh no. Declined. I don't know anyone there. :p

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
LOL, over the last weeks I got some calls from my CC (?) saying a minor charge was done followed by a major disbursement.
Problem was they never said what CC it was on, (have a few) and each time it was the same voice but with different fees.
Since I simply hung up, hopefully I'll not have any more. We'll see.

workingonit

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Syncrowave 250, Millermatic 251, Millermatic 180
Oh, that's the game. They hit it with a small charge to see if it goes through the BAM! My wife is a bank VP. She caught one of them last week right after the small charge. Turned it over to security and they monitored the large charge attempt before they hot carded. Foreign country of course.

California

Good Post Points
On the other hand - I got a phone call from Mastercard asking for my daughter. I said not here. I'm Dad. She's travelling in Europe at the moment.

Mastercard then asked if a motorcycle rental place in Spain sounded legitimate. Uh ... ... ... Yeah that sounds like her. Go ahead.

kayco53

Good Post Points
Welder
systematics
Your machine looks loike a tig/stick machine like you say. That would be CC constant current. Wirefeeders are nornmally CV constant voltage. I did not see a switch for wirefeed.There are what they call suitcase wirefeeders that adapt to CC Dead easy to hook up and can be found used.A lot of portable rigs use them. They work well. Your machine has high frequency which makes it good for aluminum on AC tig Also set up for a water cooled torch. The company Acetogen I think is where my old machine came from as well. Back in the early 80's