Rust

Pappy

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
Hello everyone!
ideas on how to deal with rusty metal. I live on the Gulf coast in Texas. The air is a little salty some here.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
A wire wheel on a grinder knocks a lot out pretty fast. A flap disc for cleanup. As I sit and think about it, that's the only way I've tried that works really well. I want to try the sand blasting with a pressure washer, but I don't think my pressure washer was up to the task. I forget why, but I left that thought alone. I think it was not enough GPM. Then there's the needle scaler.

After rust cleanup, maybe get the steel clean and dry, prime and paint. I don't do anything that important, so priming is never on my list. Just throw some paint on it, and on to the next. Clean and touch up later on.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
If your parts are small enough, make an immersion tank filled with Evapo-Rust. It is safe for handling bare handed and can be used and reused many times. Blow dry and paint immediately if you are on the gulf coast. Rust bloom can happen there in 15 minutes, I have seen it happen that quickly.
It does take a minimum of 24 hours in the tank with Evapo-rust to remove the rust from most surfaces. The good thing is you can leave it for days and wont hurt a thing.

sea2summit

Good Post Points
Second for evapo rust. I’ve been meaning to try out the gel but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I think the liquid bath is still the way to go for most parts. With the gel it would be a one time use and gone. You can make a dip tank and reuse the liquid many times