Review: Amico MIG-130A, 130 Amp Flux Wire Welder, 110/230V Dual Voltage. $149 on Amazon.

California

Good Post Points
Have you ever used the HF shielded wire? Adequate?
Never. I've seen reviews saying is excellent and others disagreeing. I guess its among the better wires.

My favorite is INETUB BA71TGS .030.
It feeds more smoothly and welds with less smoke (so you can see what you're doing) and less splatter outside the weld area, compared to others I've tried.
This is from an Italian company specializing in quality welding products, so its definitely better than any bargain wire.
I've seen posts guessing Harbor Freight's wire is re-labelled INE wire - not verified.

I see it's expensive at the moment. I paid 25% less, recently.
Camelcamelcamel, a price tracker for anything on Amazon,
shows price history and can email you a notice next time its on sale.

Definitely start with quality wire until you have some experience, to reduce the number of variables you have to figure out!

• Good Post
Reactions: djg

djg

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 220 AC
Never. I've seen reviews saying is excellent and others disagreeing. I guess its among the better wires.

My favorite is INETUB BA71TGS .030.
It feeds more smoothly and welds with less smoke (so you can see what you're doing) and less splatter outside the weld area, compared to others I've tried.
This is from an Italian company specializing in quality welding products, so its definitely better than any bargain wire.
I've seen posts guessing Harbor Freight's wire is re-labelled INE wire - not verified.

I see it's expensive at the moment. I paid 25% less, recently.
Camelcamelcamel, a price tracker for anything on Amazon,
shows price history and can email you a notice next time its on sale.

Definitely start with quality wire until you have some experience, to reduce the number of variables you have to figure out!
Thanks again, you're right. Especially during my learning period. Sometimes I try to cheap out and it bites me in the ....
Also, I do appreciate your recommendation and review of a consumer grade, reasonable priced welder. I have it saved it in my Wishlist on Amazon. Maybe come January?

California

Good Post Points
Review update of this welder after two years with it: I love using it and still recommend it.

A few of the Amazon listings are now $10 less. Same product and seller. See the hundreds of reviews on the other listings. They all ship from the Amico warehouse in SoCal.

Amico MIG-130A, 130 Amp Flux Cored Wire Welder, 110/230V Dual Voltage.

I see now there are similar welders on Amazon for a few dollars less. I would look for reviews by Project Farm etc before going with one of those instead.

And some notes that likely repeat what I wrote two years ago:

* By all means, get a dual voltage unit, not 110-only. Any 110 volt welder specifies it needs a 30 amp / 110 volt outlet in your shop - and nobody has that - to attain the claimed 130 amp output.

* Adjusting the dials on this Amico: both should be set to about the same setting in nearly all cases. About 1/3 for thin material, 50% for most of the time, 80~100% in rare cases. Then fine-tune the left knob, voltage, down a little if it welds uneven or makes a lot of splatter. This welder is for material less than 1/4 inch. You need a bigger welder for heavier material.

* Inetub flux core wire from a high-quality company in Italy remains my favorite wire. Smooth bead, less smoke, and I expect less variability between batches compared to generic wire. Price is comparable to other quality wire - and half the price of Lincoln's, considering their small spools are only 1 lb.

Enjoy!