Rebuilding a car hauler trailer

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
My brother had a pretty beat up flatbed car hauler trailer. 16’ flatbed, and needed some utility sides, new wood deck, lights, wiring and wheels and tires. I figured out a way to make the sides removable by welding on 2” angle iron pockets, and inserting 1 1/2” angle into them.pinned at all 4 corners, and 3 pieces bolted together for the rail system. Cut off the rear plate that captures the wood decking, stained new wood, bolted in place then welded a new capture plate.D1222869-F102-4096-8E8A-4894538EEFB1.png

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Just as an FYI for anyone doing lighting and wiring, it’s cheaper to replace all the light bulb powered lights with LED’s there brighter, cheaper, and no bulbs to ever replace. Trying to find old replacement lens is more expensive and hard to match.

greenlizard

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 250/250 Tombstone, Lincoln SW200, Lincoln 180C, Hypertherm 30, Honda EW140
That is a great idea for stake pockets! I’ll be stealing... er, I mean your idea has inspired me to do something similar.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
That is a great idea for stake pockets! I’ll be stealing... er, I mean your idea has inspired me to do something similar.
That way you can pull the pins, unbolt the two sides from the front, and lay the 3 pieces aside, then you have a flatbed again.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Repacked the wheel bearings, ordered up a set of mounted wheels and tires,( for a trailer) as the trailer had a mix of Toyota truck and who knows what wheels, and 3 different size passenger tires.also put a new Tongue A frame that accepts a 2 5/16” ball as the old 2” was extremely worn out and actually unsafeB202C249-CFE9-4112-8FFE-B0CA5374BE00.jpeg

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Primeweld AC-DC TIG Stick, Powermax45, Lincoln 225
My brother had a pretty beat up flatbed car hauler trailer. 16’ flatbed, and needed some utility sides, new wood deck, lights, wiring and wheels and tires. I figured out a way to make the sides removable by welding on 2” angle iron pockets, and inserting 1 1/2” angle into them.pinned at all 4 corners, and 3 pieces bolted together for the rail system. Cut off the rear plate that captures the wood decking, stained new wood, bolted in place then welded a new capture plate.View attachment 438
Looks like a well made trailer, good job!!

Don_