Rear winch mounting plate ATV

CourtenayBoy

Good Post Points
Welder
Mig/flux 110vac mastercraft
Im about to start welding up some 1/4" plate and fabricate a mount for my yamaha grizzly atv. I want a rear winch but also want to keep the ability to tow things around the yard so custom it is.

Looking forward to a great site and maybe a contest win.......woot woot

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
That’s a heavy duty mount out of 1/4” material. I just added a front little 4500 winch to the front of the Yamaha farm truck, Rhino. I thought 3/16 was heavy. Yours will be stronger.
7FA3D750-B11E-42B9-BE9F-33DDCF8210BB.jpeg

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
That is one clean machine!
Well it just got cleaned up, then put on the lift and worked on. The winch mount plate is 3/16. The winch (4500 with rope instead of wire)has 4 mounting bolts to the plate, the plate has 2 bolts to the front bumper, and 3 bolts to the 3/16” angle iron, that goes across to the core support.its probably overkill, but my motto is “Overbuilt is Under Rated”

Attachments

• 159CA643-276F-45F5-9FA5-FCCC2E55ED8C.jpeg
    159CA643-276F-45F5-9FA5-FCCC2E55ED8C.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 14

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Primeweld AC-DC TIG Stick, Powermax45, Lincoln 225
I added one to my Tracker, it's 3/8" plate.

winch_mount1.jpg

Then added

winch_mount2.jpg

all done.

winch_mount3.jpg

Don_

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Im about to start welding up some 1/4" plate and fabricate a mount for my yamaha grizzly atv. I want a rear winch but also want to keep the ability to tow things around the yard so custom it is.

are You making a hitch mounted base that pins into a hitch receptacle? That way you can also put a receptacle on the front, and use it on either end

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I like the way you put the winch behind the front bumper. It’s between the frame rails, but out of the way. I did the little 8000 k winch the same way on my off road Bronco toy. It’s as far back and up as I could go, the baseplate is welded between the frame rails, and very out of the way. I also narrowed the factory front bumper by over 10” so it has a much narrower sleek look ( still needs to be rechromed)

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Thanks.

I did the little 8000 k winch the same way on my off road Bronco toy. It’s as far back and up as I could go, the baseplate is welded between the frame rails, and very out of the way. I also narrowed the factory front bumper by over 10” so it has a much narrower sleek look ( still needs to be rechromed)

Looks good! and chrome is overrated. ?
I mounted my 9k Warn to a receiver hitch, it allows it to be portable and works well pulling non running things onto trailers. Both a hitch ball and the winch can be used at the same time.
It's a real goofy looking thing but works well. I'll try and remember to get a picture of it.
I re-used parts from an old Harbor Freight lift type of thingy.

Don_

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I’ve bought brackets and hitch recepticals from HF and welded them onto something solid .it saves a lot of fab time, and just makes it much easier to create.

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
The winch mount bolts to 1/4"angle iron on the side rails/frame with grade 8 1" bolts.

winch_mount_01.jpg

The 3/8" is also guested, sort of hard to see in the pictures.

winch_mount_03.jpg

winch_mount_04.jpg

winch_mount_05.jpg

It looks grossly under built but it is more than ample to resist bending when considering the frame rails would fail before the mount does. the rails are 14-16 gauge sheet metal, not built like a pickup truck "C" frame. So there was no reason to over build it anymore than it already is.

A side note, in picture three notice the angle iron extending past the frame rail, it also serves as a bumper mount for the bumper I built.

bumper.jpg

Thanks for asking.

Don_

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
My tractor sports a hitch receiver tube on my counterweight.
I also mounted a HD winch on a plate for occasional log retrieval.
Works great but I need to monitor battery draw.
\I used Anderson connectors for quick connections.