Old kitchen oven ideas for storing/drying welding electrodes.

jjef

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 210, lx 235, Lincoln 140c
Hi Wonder if anyone converted or uses an old kitchen oven for heating and storing electrodes most notably 7018. If I find one in the cheap or roadside free price ange Thinking of converting stove top to a work bench after reinforcement and adding multiple dividers/ pigeon holes in the oven portion to organize various electrodes. Pictures of your conversion would be helpful for ideas and is there any issues I should be aware of with heating all the rods stored in oven that won't be used infrequently vs removing all types that won't be used before projects? I'm not a professional structural or tube welder however I am aware of the importance of keeping electrode moisture levels at a minimum and occasionally preheating certain electrodes before use.
Thanks for your time.

jjef

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 210, lx 235, Lincoln 140c
That's a good idea I have an old unused one lying around somewhere I might size it up for my 7018. Still can't believe the prices on some "real" rod ovens.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
With the price per pound of rods these days, a good rod oven is just about the best investment you can make. Phoenix electrode ovens are top of the line and come in 10#, 50#, 300#(the one I have)and even 900# varieties. I got mine from a shop going out of business for cheap. A 50# oven would be good for most shops since if holds a full can of rods and wont break the bank in cost.
I keep mine set on 275F and constantly powered on. When set at this temperature, electrodes will never go bad. Old refrigerators work fine for storing 60XX type rods which should not be heated for storage but just kept dry. The small mini fridges would be perfect for small shops.