Off road welding cart

h82crash

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln, AHP
I live rural and I don't have any paved surfaces on my property. All of the commercially available carts just do not work in the dirt or snow. So I had to design something that is stable and moves easily around my property. Fits my MIG and TIG machines but the TIG usually stays indoors at my welding table. It was a quick winter project a few months ago.

20191230_130953.jpg

Beerslayer

Good Post Points
Welder
ESAB Rebel EMP 285ic
That's a pretty sweet welder ride! I like the finished look. Where did you find those nice front casters? My farm is gravel everywhere except the shop and I'd like to update the cart the Esab came with so I could take it outside.

Durned Ugly

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Econotig, Miller 35 mig, Forney buzz, Lincoln Sp 100, Hobart 300 amp trailer
Very nice!
I need me one O them thangs!;>}

crmorse

Good Post Points
Welder
Lotos 5000 SMAW/TIG/Plasma
@h82crash, what do you do for googles/masks and various tools (clamps, wire brush, grinder, etc)? I need to do something similar for my stick welder. I currently end up making 3+ trips by the time I get everything.

h82crash

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln, AHP
@h82crash, what do you do for googles/masks and various tools (clamps, wire brush, grinder, etc)? I need to do something similar for my stick welder. I currently end up making 3+ trips by the time I get everything.
My mask hangs on one of the cable hooks and there is a tool bag sitting on the Lincoln ProMig in the photo. I have since put an aluminum worktop on the cart. I think a decent size metal tool box can go where the AlphaTig machine is sitting in this photo.

Front casters are from Harbor Freight.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
good idea and good work.

CB

Good Post Points
That is an attractive looking cart.

Air casters are so much easier on equipment too.

Your creation is inspiring enough to trigger lots of questions.

1. How do you lock or chock the wheels to keep it from rolling away on a slope?

2. How long do the pneumatic tires hold air before having to refill them?

3. Do you plan to put a solid or perforated top on it, or none at all?

4. What size cylinder is that? (Looks to me like a 125, but that perspective could be influenced by the fact that I can no longer lift a 250 or 300 that high off the ground... which begs the question, how do you get your cylinders on and off that high of platform, if full sized?)

I like that you made a higher control point to secure the top third of the cylinder.