New to Hobart.

Lowline

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln model AC-225-S, Hobart 140/180 with H gun
I have a Hobart 140. I have used a Lincoln AC-225 stick for a long time. My problem with the Hobart is keeping the wire to continually going, it gets stuck in the tip. I was told I have the tension to tight. loosened it and wire does not feed. Any help. tired of cleaning tips.

scopx

Good Post Points
Welder
MIG, TIG, STICK, GAS,
First thought that comes to mind is-
1; Amperage is too high for the wire speed=burnback. Try cranking up the wire feed rate and see what happens.
2; wire diameter too small for amperage; crank it up (one can lay some bead with .023, but you really have the wheels humming right along.)
3. Incorrect gas setting/high winds blowing out HAZ protection.
Keep playing with it, adjust settings, it will get better or worse. Listen to the sound of the (short circuit) process. You will get it.
TLee

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
I find that I have the same problem if I let the tip get too close to the work and get splatter into the hole as the wire is coming out. All my welding was stick for many years, and I still can't wrap my head around welding without "feeding" into the arc as I move along.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I'm having the same frustration with my little CH mig: when it welds good it burns back and sticks the wire to the tip, up the wire feed and get tall, ropey beads or "bzzzt_bzzzt_bzzzt_bzzzt". Yes, its .024 wire (.030 acts too thick for this welder). Guess I'll keep playing with settings, or get a new welder...

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
Guess that's one(more) of the drawbacks to small welders. Seems like just not enough shield gas so the gun needs to be too close to the work. Then the sticking begins.

Lennyzx11

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart MVP210, Hobart Stickmate LX. Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC
1/2 inch stick out.
I usually use welding pliers and cut the wire off with pliers across the nozzle. With the cutters away from nozzle.

Gas shielding
It’s easy to lose the gas protection unless in a protected area from drafts/ breeze.
Possibly turn flow up a little at regulator.

Try some .035 wire. Thicker is actually easier since it doesn’t go so fast.

I’m another stick welder guy that had to break the habit of “feeding the pool”. Stick out was key.
My Hobart MVP210 makes me look like I know what I’m doing. Sometimes....

Lowline

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln model AC-225-S, Hobart 140/180 with H gun
WOW !! Thanks for all the feed back. I have lots to do. (work on that is} I am sure i am trying to feed the puddle, so up the speed. I don't get on here much but thanks for all the suggestions.
I think more practice is the key too. I will try all these and get back to you. thank you all again.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
While consider myself a fairly competent stick welder I also am having trouble with a wire feed (cheepo) unit.
Sure get lots of sparking (like scary so) and always feel the feed is simply to rapid.
Would sure like a 1/2 hour with an accomplished wire welder guy to pick up tricks.
Unfortunately my go-to pro welder has passed away, he was one who loved sharing his experience.
Also probably due to economics welding shops and even metal suppliers are now few and far between.
Fortunately being a pack rat I have a somewhat decent supply of metal for any future projects.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
While consider myself a fairly competent stick welder I also am having trouble with a wire feed (cheepo) unit.
Sure get lots of sparking (like scary so) and always feel the feed is simply to rapid.
Would sure like a 1/2 hour with an accomplished wire welder guy to pick up tricks.
Unfortunately my go-to pro welder has passed away, he was one who loved sharing his experience.
Also probably due to economics welding shops and even metal suppliers are now few and far between.
Fortunately being a pack rat I have a somewhat decent supply of metal for any future projects.
Here are two videos by Lincoln that might help, Flux-Cored-FCAW-S Troubleshooting
MIG-GMAW Troubleshooting

sonny580

Good Post Points
I learned stick at the age of 16,---never had wirt in my hands til last year! Got an old Century 200 and no gas with it so I tried flux wire. Welds great on clean metal just makes a nasty lookin area! I was told that is natural that the flux is like slag. All I know is that you have to match feed with amperage, otherwise one gets ahead of the other and ya gots problems!! LOL!! On mine I had to test weld with different settings til I found the right combo! Give it a go at testing and see if that helps you!