long time no weld....

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln TIG, 3 or so Arc and 180Amp MIG
I did my trade qualifications but never worked in the industry. I'm a stay at home pensioner (course was done to keep brain active).
Every time I pull either an arc welder or my MIG welder out I spend more time grinding crappy welds (gassless MIG, ughhhh) than I do welding. I get it back after a while and last job I did I don't remember having to grind one bad weld out (it's amazing what paint will hide, lol).
No, last arc welding I did I had a great day and every weld was text book perfect. Now I want to know what went wrong, I don't do that (not very often anyway).

I do find after 30 minutes or so my welds improve. I just don't do enough to keep my skill levels where I'd like them.

Now I tend to grab some scrap, warm up the habits (coffee and cigarette) and drag around on the scrap till I feel I can safely do the job I want to do.
I built an engine crane out of scrap steel when I had to lift my 6 cylinder (4.0 litre) engine out of my car to rebuild it. It worked like a charm.

mrbearski

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln AC225, Century 155GL
Most projects I tackle are small or either repairs to something. I find that the first few welds look like my 10 yr old grandson did them, but by the end I'm thinking, dang I'm pretty good at this.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
A good grinder can “adjust” a couple bird poop welds, if it’s been a while, till you get them looking professional again.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Having a steady hand and good eyesight is 75 % of making a good weld. The other 25% is getting the machine set which isnt that difficult with a stick welder. The more complicated the machine, the harder it is to set. If you have 10 dials to set before making a weld, chances are you will need lots of scrap iron to play with to get it set for what you are doing. Most folks dont need more than 1 dial on a stick machine and 2 on a wire feeder to adjust for a perfect weld.