Let's Help the Newbies Learn

welding seabee

Good Post Points
One problem those new to welding and trying to learn get befuddled with our unique vocabulary, lots of acronyms and slang. Us old timers can be of help by describing such things as we go along and not assume everybody knows what we are talking about.

Those of you who do not understand something ask, that's one way you learn faster.

Ron

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I've thought about getting my feet wet in fabrication as my wife and I both love furniture, often metal and wood. We were looking at a dining table for about $3,000 made of walnut and a steel base. I was thinking for that much money I could probably buy most of the tools needed and maybe materials too. I know it might not be as perfect as the factory made tables but if it was anything close, I'd be happy with the results. Maybe starting a welding forum was the kick in the pants I needed. :p

Arlyn Jeurink

Good Post Points
I myself am just trying to get serious about it. I've had a small 110v flux core wire unit for some time. But now are starting a old 57 Chevy drag car resto, that I've had since '76. Friend has a nice Lincoln unit that we are going to use on it-----The fun begins!

sonny580

Good Post Points
Takes a lot of practice to get going, but never give up and it will come around for you. ---Be flexible while learning because you might have to refine the methods that someone says works!---It may not work for you,--so try something different to find your groove! ---Main thing is to get comfy with your welder,--don't fear it!
If you are having problems,--ask questions and someone will try to walk you thru the process.

welding seabee

Good Post Points
I've thought about getting my feet wet in fabrication as my wife and I both love furniture, often metal and wood. We were looking at a dining table for about $3,000 made of walnut and a steel base. I was thinking for that much money I could probably buy most of the tools needed and maybe materials too. I know it might not be as perfect as the factory made tables but if it was anything close, I'd be happy with the results. Maybe starting a welding forum was the kick in the pants I needed. :p
For lighter weight materials used in furniture frames you should look at a small O/A setup. Easier to get good looking beads on such material quicker unless you want to play with a small MIG set. Just an idea from an old time O/A guy.

Ron

• Good Post
Reactions: MC

Bunchgrass

Good Post Points
Hey MC

I'm sure you and your wife have your own style in furniture but figured I'd throw this out there. I have a neighbor that makes metal furniture out of 3/4" pipe. He welds "nodes" around the pipe every 4" or so to look like bamboo and then burnishes it with a wire wheel. He has a pretty small setup --- not sure the brand of welder but likely a wire feed and a nice plasma cutter. He sells that stuff at higher end "craft" shows.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
Hey MC

I'm sure you and your wife have your own style in furniture but figured I'd throw this out there. I have a neighbor that makes metal furniture out of 3/4" pipe. He welds "nodes" around the pipe every 4" or so to look like bamboo and then burnishes it with a wire wheel. He has a pretty small setup --- not sure the brand of welder but likely a wire feed and a nice plasma cutter. He sells that stuff at higher end "craft" shows.

Oh I've been thinking about that. There are some high end stores here that sell reclaimed wood for thousands.

Bunchgrass

Good Post Points
Oh I've been thinking about that. There are some high end stores here that sell reclaimed wood for thousands.
I think my neighbor gets a lot of his 3/4 pipe from scrap as well. Seeing how to repurpose something into furniture or art takes a little bit of an eye that I don't have. Good luck.

StuckRod

Good Post Points
I have incorporated some welding and steel into my own house. I have a timber frame home, so it works because steel and wood in that conjunction, it "rustic". Some people do not like the look, but my wife does, so it works for us.

This is a double vanity sink I just put in my main bathroom. From felling the pine tree that it is made of, to plumbing the final connections, it is all my work. But my mantra is: "do as much for yourself as you can."

California

Good Post Points
Just a comment on a welding project using iron pipe - don't start with galvanized pipe. The fumes from grinding, welding, buffing even cutting are harmful. Black iron pipe (gas pipe) is fine.

Last edited:

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
If you have never struck an arc in your life, try to get a good welder to give some visual instruction. A little OJT by a competent welder can do wonders for your technique and really shorten the learning curve. If you are doing something wrong, you may never find out what it is just by someone giving their opinion without actually watching you weld.
I suppose posting a good video of your welding might work also if you have the proper equipment.