Hobart 190 with spool gun project needed

dcody

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart and Miller
Really excited to get this welder with a spool gun, (previous welder was an 180) now I need some simple Aluminum project. Any ideas? My first try last year found it's really really easy to be too hot and melt away the material. I'm a self taught welder, looking for some simple videos too, to learn what not to do.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
welding tips and tricks on you tube. tool boxes maybe. shop stool, welding cart/s

18406ej

Good Post Points
Welder
TIG / MIG
I agree with Old Irish on using YouTube as an excellent source of knowledge. In the same breath, however, I will point out the fact that persons such as Billy Bob and Cletus (backwoods Mechanics with about as much common sense and intelligence as I have) also have access to YouTube and aren’t shy about posting what they think to be fine advice but which is really not. It pays to read any comments and ratings that accompany videos presented by questionable experts.

Your local library likely has informative books on modern welding techniques, and it will also have books on metallurgy. The latter might not provide entertaining reading but those books but are packed full of information on the nature of various metals, including their reactions to heat. It was through my reading about metallurgy that I discovered exactly what the surface of aluminum looked like as it came into its molten state and proceeded to fall through the weld and onto my brand-new shoes.

Given the price of aluminum I’d suggest that you obtain some scrap pieces from a used metal junkyard and practice the skills before moving into actual fabrication. As far as project ideas go, my Mom (a lifelong non-smoker) still has the clunky aluminum cigarette ashtray that I made for her when I was 27.

I hope you will follow-up this post with images of whatever projects you create.

Eamon

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
I agree with Old Irish on using YouTube as an excellent source of knowledge. In the same breath, however, I will point out the fact that persons such as Billy Bob and Cletus (backwoods Mechanics with about as much common sense and intelligence as I have) also have access to YouTube and aren’t shy about posting what they think to be fine advice but which is really not. It pays to read any comments and ratings that accompany videos presented by questionable experts.

Your local library likely has informative books on modern welding techniques, and it will also have books on metallurgy. The latter might not provide entertaining reading but those books but are packed full of information on the nature of various metals, including their reactions to heat. It was through my reading about metallurgy that I discovered exactly what the surface of aluminum looked like as it came into its molten state and proceeded to fall through the weld and onto my brand-new shoes.

Given the price of aluminum I’d suggest that you obtain some scrap pieces from a used metal junkyard and practice the skills before moving into actual fabrication. As far as project ideas go, my Mom (a lifelong non-smoker) still has the clunky aluminum cigarette ashtray that I made for her when I was 27.

I hope you will follow-up this post with images of whatever projects you create.

Eamon
yeah I probably should have linked the web address weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody Collier is an excellent welder and teacher

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
A welding cart would be a good project, it would give you a range of materials and welds to practice on.

I have yet to get around to using my spool gun, have plans for it, and the aluminum, wire, gas, just haven't had the time.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Bought my Handler 190 the 13th, spool gun 2 days ago. Have an Argon tank (42cf) I'm gonna try to upgrade before I get started. I have a boat that I plan on replacing the wood deck framing with aluminum. Also, brackets for rod holders, switch panels and other mods. Having a jon boat is my biggest reason for getting the setup I now have. Having as many friends as I do with boats was another factor. There's a lot of stuff made out of aluminum. You shouldn't have far to look for ideas on what you can build. Good luck.

Last edited:

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Since my previous post, I've acquired another jon boat that needs a lot of work. Transom needs rebuilt, side ribs made (because I hate middle seats), bracing made for extended decking I want for the boat and all sorts of holes repaired in the existing decking and seat from pedestal mounts and other gear. So far I've used my 190 and spool gun to repair rivet holes in the transom and seat mounting holes the back seat. Also, I'm narrowing the wide side ribs to make more floor room. Pretty big project so I'll be at it for a while...

What projects have you found to use your spool gun?20200628_174038.jpg20200628_173340.jpg20200701_175718.jpg20200701_180355.jpg20200628_152109.jpg13373.jpg