Hitch cargo carrier

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee and a 2020 Subaru Outback, that I absolutely hate putting gas cans in and other items which may be as such. Don't need it for luggage, or I would have bought a better one,if there is such a thing.
I never thought of that use for the carrier since I always use my Silverado pickup to go get gas. My CRV does not have a hitch so no carrier to be had there. I suppose I could install one if the need arises (like if my truck become inoperable)

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I DIY'd mine.
Old discarded bed frame angle, some 2 x 2 tubing that I had nd a few rods.
Drilled lots of holes for bungee tie downs.
Used it this week to load/haul fuel for this winter snow blower usage.
I was able to load 4 ea 5 gal plastic jugs and good to go.
Big advantage is no odors in my car.
Total 'out of pocket' was a few rods and electricity.
Very handy.

Oh and on my KIA the car lights are all higher than the rack.
However 'just in case' I attached reflective tape to the back edge of my DIY rack.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
$39. Is cheap enough to start, also saves a lot of time.if you ever need to alter or fix damage to it, it’s inexpensive enough to not worry about it.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I made mine from old discarded bed frame angle, drilled lots of holes for tie downs and I had some expanded metal scraps for the bed.
Used it just yesterday and hauled 5 ea 5 gals of fuel for my tractor.
Very handy and the best is no fuel odors in my SUV.
I'm lucky in that all my vehicle lights and tag is clear of the loaded rack hence no reason the be pulled over by the LEO's.

Did I say I love discarded bed frames.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Being able to pick up discarded items prior to local garbage pick up is nice. Not much of that available here. Houses are too far apart to be cost effective plus majority of folks around me are not that well off with many being retired and living on social security benefits.