Hemi Impossible........

Dr. Righteous

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln wire feed MIG also portable stick welder.
I've got a 3rd gen hemi engine in storage the slung a rod and left it looking like this:

blockside.JPG

The thing is; the engine was in top condition when this happened. Don't assume this the result of racing or abuse. This happened because of a common defect in the plastic intake manifolds of the early 3rd gens to develop a crack. Also on the same vehicle the cowl was known to leak water on top of the engine. So one night after a hard rain it ended up with water in a cylinder. There was some trouble starting it but after a few times it started but we suspect it bent a rod. Later that day the rod came out of the side of the block. We had the engine replaced and I kept the dead hemi. I pulled it apart and found it looked like new inside besides the damage. Cylinder bore looked good. It needs a rod, piston and the hole in the block fixed. I've had people tell me fixing the block is impossible. In fact welding cracked and broken engine blocks is a common thing. You have to know techniques and have the right materials.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
So, are you going to try to fix it? What's your plan?

I don't think any mechanics would be comfortable putting a repaired block back on the road which is maybe why it's not done very often. But the pressure is not something a weld shouldn't be able to hold.

Slowbug

Good Post Points
Welder
Bobcat 250EFI
I've got a 3rd gen hemi engine in storage the slung a rod and left it looking like this:

blockside.JPG

The thing is; the engine was in top condition when this happened. Don't assume this the result of racing or abuse. This happened because of a common defect in the plastic intake manifolds of the early 3rd gens to develop a crack. Also on the same vehicle the cowl was known to leak water on top of the engine. So one night after a hard rain it ended up with water in a cylinder. There was some trouble starting it but after a few times it started but we suspect it bent a rod. Later that day the rod came out of the side of the block. We had the engine replaced and I kept the dead hemi. I pulled it apart and found it looked like new inside besides the damage. Cylinder bore looked good. It needs a rod, piston and the hole in the block fixed. I've had people tell me fixing the block is impossible. In fact welding cracked and broken engine blocks is a common thing. You have to know techniques and have the right materials.

blockside.JPG

Seems like it has reasonable chance of working. Should only have to put up with heat and oil splash but I’m not up on Diesels anymore. If I had the motor, I would be sure to try.

Dr. Righteous

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln wire feed MIG also portable stick welder.
Seems like it has reasonable chance of working. Should only have to put up with heat and oil splash but I’m not up on Diesels anymore. If I had the motor, I would be sure to try.
The damage is in the side skirt of the crank case. There were no cracks or other damage to the block I could find.
I intend to use Muggy weld high nickle rods. I'll cut a 1/4" plate of steel to fill the hole , preheat the block as best I can and weld up the gaps with short welds, giving time for it to cool.
All that said the engine has been in dry storage for a few years; it was oiled up and wrapped in plastic. So I'm hoping for the best. Either way; I had several people tell me "It can't be done". It will be fun to prove them wrong.

HOOTY

Good Post Points
Welder
Several, Mig, Tig, Stick, ect.

The damage is in the side skirt of the crank case. There were no cracks or other damage to the block I could find.
I intend to use Muggy weld high nickle rods. I'll cut a 1/4" plate of steel to fill the hole , preheat the block as best I can and weld up the gaps with short welds, giving time for it to cool.
All that said the engine has been in dry storage for a few years; it was oiled up and wrapped in plastic. So I'm hoping for the best. Either way; I had several people tell me "It can't be done". It will be fun to prove them wrong.

HOOTY

Good Post Points
Welder
Several, Mig, Tig, Stick, ect.
I can promise you that block can be made like new. My son grad. from Mid Fl. Tec Welding school with the class ahead of him, 1st job was welding high speed turbine fins, if you don't know about this, I'll tell you very few can do it the first time around, he spent too much time cleaning up other people's crap (they had to be x rayed every time, he finally quit.. He is a welder for Disney now, I can promise you he could weld it up and you would not be able to tell it from the original. YES, IT CAN BE DONE. Don't let anyone say it can't. In my family you tell us it can't be done and we will do it just to rub your nose in it. Believe me, it can be done.