Harbor Freight Vulcan OmniPro 220 stick rod review

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have had this machine for a couple months or more but just got around to checking out the stick rod function. It does have a setting for 6010 and one for 7018 so I first tried it with 6010. I set it up for 1/8 and1/4" plate which is what I was welding on. I struck an arc and immediately thought I had the leads reverse and it was on straight polarity. I just swapped the leads without looking at the terminals and WOW, it really started frying with that. I went back, checked the + and - on the machine, switched the leads back where they were and lowered the amps from 135 down to 125 then down to 100 . This was a bit more acceptable but the arc blow was still significant with the 6010. I next set it up for 1/8" 70xx per the machine program. It welded a bit better with 7018 but the arc still didnt work for me so I shut it down, unspooled my Miller Dialarc 250 set it on 125 amps and did my welding, the arc was super smooth just like it should be. I guess the Vulcan will just be doing wire feed which it does very well for FCAW and MIG. I havent hooked it up on TIG yet but I suppose I should try that since the stick rod arc was so unstable. I think I may need some adapter to hook up my TIG torch and I havent bought the remote foot control for it either. But scratch start with DC machines is what I welded with for all my welding career. The Everlast TIG with HF start and foot remote will spoil you pretty fast though.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I got out the old TIG torch and hooked it to the Vulcan for repairing my friends luggage rack on his old Honda 300 4x4 and it worked really well. My Miller will stick better but the TIG seemed to be a really smooth arc. So I now have tried it with 6010,7018, 6013, FCAW, MIG and TIG and all works as they should. All I need now is to get my Plasma cutter back and be able to hook up the HF TIG and foot pedal remote and I will be set to weld about any thing that comes along. I just need those welding customers to show up now.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
My friend had a little more mods to do to his 4 wheeler luggage rack. I again rolled out the Vulcan Omni-pro 220 but this time used the MIG with .030 wire and C25 gas. It worked really well on the thin expanded metal and the light wall tubing. We were using some scrap to make a hinged door to cover the tool carrier box on the back. What we thought would be about an hour of work turned into about 3 1/2. It really took longer to salvage the parts than to weld them together but we got it all done and painted by supper time. He hasn't came over today yet to pick it up and install it. It is still on the paint rack "drying".

I also used the Vulcan a few days ago to weld on some 16 gauge sheet metal to my trailer loading ramps. My lawnmower wheels bounce too much over the angle iron frame. I havent tried it on the smooth metal yet. I think first that I will install some of the pressure sensitive stick sandpaper strips on it for a bit better traction.

Handyhusband01

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 250HF, Vulcan Omnipro 220
Gary - I have the same unit. Considering a generator to run it off-site. Any experience with that?