Flash-Back Arrestor

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
Marquette Lit-jet Model: 22-101

I've never held a torch in my life. I've recently slammed back maybe 50-75 hours of videos, read a crap ton of posts, articles, and even books on the subject over the past 6 months. I have a friend that gave me a small setup that you get in the plastic cady. I know there are a few different types of tanks that require certain regulators, etc. When it got here, the hoses were in bad shape, leaking, so I changed them up with a new set I had here. My dad had a whole kit, still in the packing that he left for me. I had everything but the tanks, all still in the wrapper. I picked up some gas leak detector to check everything.

The regulators on the tanks looked in good shape so I left them and attached my hoses. I do have brand new regulators in the kit if necessary. My hoses and torch were a little different. They have proper fittings for the regulators but smaller for the torch. The torch set up I have, which includes braising tips and a cutting attachment, is miniature. The manufacturer I believe is Marquette. The torch handle says Marquette Lit-jet Model: 22-101. The cutting portion says SA-796 Issue AU-420. UND. Lab Inc. List. Cutting Attachment.

I think I need to get some flash-back arrestors. I don't think they're built into the torch but that's one of the questions I have.

I know I need to make sure the tanks are capable of the volume required by the tip but I'm guessing since the torch is so small, I shouldn't have a problem.

My main question is, are these sizes pretty standard, the small and large, or do they vary? I want to purchase check valves/arrestors but don't know the exact size.

Also, I don't want to skimp on these. I'll pay for quality. I've found a lot of these on amazon, etc but I have no idea what a good one should cost. Any guidance on where or what to purchase is appreciated.

Thank you.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Since you would be swapping the bottles out at a welding shop (and quite often), I would suggest going there for flashback arrestors. They'll be pretty much standard. Might as well get to know them. If you use the torch with any regularity for cutting, you'll be there a lot.

It's not necessarily the size of the torch, but the flow rate of the tip. Check to see if your tip has a number stamped into it.

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
Thank you. I went to the local welding shop today and unfortunately, they didn't carry parts for this torch set up. So I went ahead and purchased new B hoses for the torch that came with the tanks, as well as a set of good flashback/backflow equipment. The tip that is in the torch I have is 0-3-10. The gentleman at the store told me that the biggest I would want to go on this small set of tanks would be a 2. I'm hoping the tip I have is a 0 but am having trouble determining which of those numbers is the significant digit. Again, the number on the only tip I have for that torch is 0-3-10. Can anyone help me with reading that? I was going to just pick up a new tip but I did not bring that torch so we weren't able to determine what tip to get.

Thank you again.

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
Looks like I have a Victor torch and tip. The handle says WH27FC-V and the actuall cutting attachment says CA27-V. I tried to post a few minutes ago but I don't think it took. I didn't realize the torch I'm using has an arrestor so I installed the inline arrestors/check valves between the torch and hoses. Wondering if it's ok to run them both.

I was referencing the Audel Pocket reference and am estimating that for cutting 1/2 steel and a 0 tip, based on the guide, I should be running 3-5 psi on the fuel and 30-35psi on the Oxy. Does this sound like a good starting point? This not a critical cut. Just making some stuff to practice stick welding some beads. A friend gave me a few 3' pieces of 1/2 inch by 5" flat. I'd like to cut it into manageable pieces.

Thanks.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I can't help you with pressures. All I know is the Harris torch that I own. I'm sure someone will come along with some good info from experience.

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
I can't help you with pressures. All I know is the Harris torch that I own. I'm sure someone will come along with some good info from experience.

Do you think there's any problem with having arrestors installed just behind built-in arrestors on the torch? Reason I ask is that I don't think the torch has built-in check valves. The inline set I have does both. So I'll have 2 arrestors and 1 check valve per line at the torch end.

Thanks.

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
Looks like I may be starting from scratch anyway...the valve on the acetylene is leaking. I'll upgrade my tanks. It's one of those with the little key instead of a knob.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I've read of the valves on those smaller tanks being prone to leaking. As far as the flashback arrestors, I would just run one set. But what do I know? I just started playing with welders and torches 3 years ago. I'm still learning.