Fabrication Failures

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
Okay guys... let's see your junk piles and scrapped projects that didn't work out. I know you've all got them. :D

California

Good Post Points
I don't really have any disasters to report. Everything I've ever welded has stayed welded.
Over in the 'what have you built this year' thread, post #4, the yellow back blade (I'm carrying it in the second photo) that I had hoped to modify was a project abandoned before doing anything. I did a lot of measuring, made cardboard templates, and reluctantly concluded that modifying the implement so a quick hitch could pick it up, was impossible. I would have to cut all the structural strength out of it while losing the ability to swing it to different angles, it couldn't raise high enough to get the blade clear of dragged material, just buying a better implement would be the preferred solution. I took it back and parked it in the weeds where I had it before. I want all my implements quick hitch compatible but mounting that one by hand isn't too difficult. Project was abandoned before I trashed a usable, if clumsy, implement.

California

Good Post Points
This photo better illustrates why that back blade couldn't be modified to be picked up by a quick hitch. This wasn't so much failed fabrication, rather it was abandoning the impossible before hacking anything.
The lower hooks on the quick hitch are massive.They can't go back far enough while slipped under the implement's pins, before they run into the vertical face of the angle iron.
Mount the pins higher? The implement can't be raised high enough now. Weld on plates to put those implement pins several inches forward?
No, the final obstacle is the vertical hand lever that pulls a pin down at that arc, so the blade can swing. The lever would run into the quick hitch chassis next to the top hook long before it pulls the lock pin out of the arch. The hand lever needs to swing forward 15+ inches.

Too many obstacles. I reluctantly abandoned converting this implement. Hooking it on by hand isn't that bad.
(The implement was ugly and patched like this when it came with the tractor. Ain't she purty? :p)

143698d1256673483-low-oil-pressure-no-bad-p1540082rcarringtonterracer-jpg

poncho62

Good Post Points
None that really failed in the welding aspect, my welds usually hold pretty well even if they do look like crap. The first bucket I built was sort of a failure in the design aspect. I tried to use the hydro lift of the tractor to lift the bucket. Due to the geometry, I guess it just wasn't strong enough....or maybe because the tractor is 45 years old had something to do with it....lol
IMG_0240.jpg

StuckRod

Good Post Points
I have had quite a few. I make a lot of homemade implements so sometimes the developing of those implements takes longer than I have time for.

That is not a cop-out. Like I built a rock and stick rake for clearing land on my farm, and it worked...sort of, but it would jamb up sometimes because it needed better bearings, and wheels that did not flex. It was a time-sensitive job...a short period of time from when I could get on the field without rutting it up, to when the grass was too high, and so it was just easier to pick the sticks up, then order steel, fabricate, weld, and refine the rock and stick rake.

It really was not a failure, I just did not have time to perfect it. That happens a lot for me.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
I have built quite a few stands that I rarely use because while they seemed good in my head they just didn't function as I pictured. I built a receiver mounted vice using the acme rod from a old scissor jack that opens up to probably 16 inches that I thought I would use all the time and in about 2 years I have used it twice. I built a welding cart big enough to hold three welders and two 300cf cylinders with a tool tray at one end that I thought was the last I would ever need that is now holding one welder and one cylinder and I will be putting it out to pasture soon or cutting it down to make a rack for the back of my welding table to hold just a tig welder. I couldn't attempt to remember all the things that I have built and found I didn't need or didn't function in reality as I imagined while laying them out but it is good exercise for the brain and a good learning experience.

Mattsy Fergy

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
New member here. When I have time I will post a few of my little projects. Hopefully this weekend.

ForeverFixing

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211
My first attempt at a toolbox platform for the back of our Arctic Fox 5th wheel. By the time I made my welds I had warped the frame. I could cut and straighten or change the design. I decided I would rather have a three post platform that would not rock in the receiver so I started over.
The tree post design stayed flat. Much less cutting and welding. It held up well even with a few ground drags as we make our way through road work in Alaska. I added a set of brake and turn signal lights to the back before we hit the road. I learn more on each project.

20181212_171700w.jpg20181229_160852w.jpg20190402_175952w.jpg20190403_120353w.jpg20190405_161812w.jpg

joesfixitshop

Good Post Points
Welder
miller stick, miller mig
since 1977 have weldedmig and tig in factory work. taught myself to stick weld at home. later went to school for certification. first mager project was a wood splitter, still using today. lots of mods along the way. made stoves for people. welded truck frames,installed lots of dump beds, and just about any thing else that showed up at my shop. not a business, people just show up. mistakes, you name it i have made it. tend to try and make something stronger than intended project.get rusty when away from welding for awhile, but it comes back after few welds.still learning at 72 years. always something new.

greenlizard

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 250/250 Tombstone, Lincoln SW200, Lincoln 180C, Hypertherm 30, Honda EW140
My attempt at a ditching plow. Basically a long middle buster. Turns out they need to be really, really strong if there is any danger of roots. It was straight prior to first use. I’ve since reinforced it by scabbing on two old lawnmower blades. The ugly is strong with this one.

B441A91F-5861-4F79-8D66-5B9546087447.jpeg

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Lots of what started out as a bad design, but just cut it apart, and re-do it until it is what you need. May take a few tries, but in the end it’s right

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
I don't save them, I just cut up what's salvageable and move on.
No need to document the evidence....lol

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Count me lucky as I've had few failures.
Most have been when I try to fill gaps that should not be filled and that due to slag.
I do know most guys will use a scrap (often a rod or bolt) and weld from both sides to bridge the gap.
Now I'd never attempt bridging on anything structural.

California

Good Post Points
Somebody else's failed project: My early-80's 24 hp Yanmar tractor P1700367rYM240CarryStump.JPG must have been horribly abused. Both front wheels had massive cracks. I bought replacement wheels for it.

Here I ground one of the old wheels flat to make the base for a grinder pedestal. Under the rust, I found mostly useless welds. I can't imagine what a prior owner did to cause this mess!

20170224rCrackedWheelGroundFlat.jpg

StuckRod

Good Post Points
Welds seldom fail because they hold so much. Most of what i fabricate, my tacks alone could probably hold the unit together.

If this seems like blarney, tack weld something to a metal bench, and then try removing it. It takes a lot of effort to remove that tack enough for the unit to be removed!

StuckRod

Good Post Points
A silly mistake I made a few weeks ago was in welding down my generator head to its mounting frame. I had measured, and positioned, but it just did not seem right, so I moved it forward by an inch.

It ended up being too much. The belts that would power it from the engine was not lined up at all.

Worse yet, I had welded the frame down fully, so I was not removing tacks, I had to remove full welds. It took a bit of grinding, but it is in position now.