Does anyone know what this it?

James

Good Post Points
I'm building a light fixture out of some old junk I've collected over the years. This will be part of it. It is cast iron, about 20" across. Judging by the square nuts and bolts, it is about 100 years old, and probably part of something agricultural. The arms are spring loaded, and—before it had rusted solid—it appears that you would pull the arms back to disengage them from the central piece, allowing the central piece to move forward or back. Perhaps it was some sort of tensioning component. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.front.pngback.png

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Primeweld AC-DC TIG Stick, Powermax45, Lincoln 225
I don't have any idea but it sure is a nice piece of work.
It should make an interesting light fixture!
Don_

Steel Lilies

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart
I'm building a light fixture out of some old junk I've collected over the years. This will be part of it. It is cast iron, about 20" across. Judging by the square nuts and bolts, it is about 100 years old, and probably part of something agricultural. The arms are spring loaded, and—before it had rusted solid—it appears that you would pull the arms back to disengage them from the central piece, allowing the central piece to move forward or back. Perhaps it was some sort of tensioning component. Anyone have a clue? Thanks.View attachment 424View attachment 425
I love finds like this! There's a museum in Dekalb Texas with some great examples of antique tools and machinery that are marvelous mysteries.

MikeyT

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 ac,Lincoln 180 mig
I agree it does look like it was to lift pipe or the like and I’m sure it’s going to make a beautiful light fixture and a great conversation piece!