Cleaning up some mushrooms

dee_veloper

Good Post Points
Welder
Longevity
Decided it was time to clean up some mushrooms on the ends of a couple of prybars. I was going to simply grind them down but then I thought why not use my portable bandsaw and take advantage of the stand I made and just cut them off.

https://weldingsite.com/threads/portable-bandsaw-stand.359/post-4279

This is a photo of the first mushroom cap cut off
SmallMushroom.JPG

The bottom side of the cut
SmallMushroom2.JPG

Then I went after the second mushroom cap and cut it off
BigMushroom.JPG

The bottom side of the cut ,,,,YIKES! BigMushroom2.JPG

That crack was a big mess so I took off another slice which just broke apart during the cut
BigMushroom3.JPG

I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I took off another slice
BigMushroom4.JPG

...and another
BigMushroom5.JPG

..and one more to be sure
BigMushroom6.JPG

Finally, no more cracks. But it was an interesting lesson and I'm glad I decided to cut off the caps instead of grinding them down.

Here's a summary comparison

BigMushroom7.JPG

dee_veloper

Good Post Points
Welder
Longevity
More likely, a chunk of metal would have splintered off first. I was just glad I caught it before the breakage because it can cause injury when a chunk flies off under pressure.

California

Good Post Points
More likely, a chunk of metal would have splintered off first. I was just glad I caught it before the breakage because it can cause injury when a chunk flies off under pressure.
You might want to discard that. An acquaintance lost an eye that way.

But the rest of them look great!

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I think you got to the bottom of the problem. One thing you can do to help relieve that problem is to use a brazing rod and cap the tops of tools that get hammered on with a thick layer of brass to soften the blows so the heads dont mushroom or break. I have a center punch made from a piece of tool steel that I put a brass cap on 30 years ago and it is still in good shape.