AC or DC for stick welding.

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
What rods you use either AC or DC all depends on the application whether it is fabrication or repair work. 7018 is not a good choice for positions other than flat fabrication. As most of us here probably do some of both like myself it pays to stay with 6010, 6011, and 6013.
I use 7018 rod all the time in vertical and overhead positions. Works fine if you know how to do it. Used to use 6010 but any more I use 7018 for 95% of what I do.

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
Does anyone have a link to a site that has a list of rods and recommendations for usage?
I see a lot of talk on different types of sticks, Do the numbers refer to size and type?

G-manbart

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Millermatic 252, Syncrowave 250DX, Miller Dialarc 250, Hobart Champion Elite, Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Does anyone have a link to a site that has a list of rods and recommendations for usage?
I see a lot of talk on different types of sticks, Do the numbers refer to size and type?

Most of the companies selling electrodes will have info on their websites....Lincoln Electric, ESAB, Hobart, Harris, etc....look up consumables.

The numbers tell what kind/style of rod and the size is listed separately. The first two digits are the tensile strength. For example, 7018 is a common rod used in industry. 70 means it's a 70K PSI tensile strength. The third digit shows what positions it can be used in. I this case 1 means any position (flat, overhead, vertical). The last digit shows welding current and rod coating. In this case 8 means it's AC or DC, Rod +, iron powder, and low hydrogen. 6010 would be 60K PSI, any position, DC, Rod +, cellulose coating.

Now it's very common to see rod packages marked 7018AC. Those can be run either AC or DC (like regular 7018), but have some slight differences in the coating to make them run better on AC. They actually work beautifully on DC, but likely wouldn't be approved for certification work....not sure about that though.

Most rods are available in 3/32, 1/8/, 5/32 etc and the normal length is 14 inches.

Lincoln puts out a lot of information you can trust:

axeman79

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
Which would be better. I have an AC stick welder. I’ve seen videos on how to change them to DC welders. Now, I know nothing about welding, have never had a course in it. But I weld stuff at home to fix or make stuff. Mostly rusty metal. Some days things seem to weld reasonable and other days it doesn’t.
If switched to DC, can I still use the same rods. And what is the advantage of changing polarity.
Thanks for your knowledge.

Noel
I believe a DC welder would be preferred for general home/farm use. AC is good for conditions where there is a lot of electrical static that can interfere with the arc, e.g., unfounded equipment. I have heard that AC welders will not run as smooth a weld under regular conditions.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Following this, as my 50+ year old welder is likely just AC

Hey, I also do mostly AD but have also used a bit of DC.
IMHO, AC will most usually do 95% of what U need to do.
I am also a former pipe welder (worked petro-chem construction) and at 701/2 years old, I can still run a bead but what I used to do with one hand, now takes both hands and a steady rest. I have just started getting together machines for wire feed welding (FCAW and MIG). Just light duty 110 volt babies but they work fine for my knife making and sheet metal work.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I only have an AC machine but recently used an AC/ DC one.
Even with different rods I still preferred the AC mode.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
Something is wrong with that picture. The DC is sooooooo far superior. It will run all the electrodes better.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
I use 7018 rod all the time in vertical and overhead positions. Works fine if you know how to do it. Used to use 6010 but any more I use 7018 for 95% of what I do.
My favorite weld to do is 7018 overhead fillet.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
Someone mention pros using lots of different rods
I kind of think not do much. The amateur gets and tries every rod they make. The pro has a cellulose rod in 1 or 2 sizes, and 7018 in 2 sizes.
I can use any of them but really dont. My neighbor just dropped 45# of 1/8 6011 in good shape and another gave me 10# so I am good till the end crept for some 3/32 7018 yet

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
When I bought the Maxstar I got some small 11 and small 13. Both a waste
Used 1 13 and about a dozen 3/32 11 in 15 years. Just dont use them, so used to 1/8 11 that its reflected to reach for it.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
The reason for DC is really all position. DC is used for real work, there used to be a standing joke that a guy buys ac machine and has to buy rod, guy spends another 100 on DC and never has to buy rod.
Real construction work uses 6010 and 7018.