10k Dump Trailer Build

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
I am building a 10K dump trailer. 6.5' x 12' long
I can do a build thread if anyone is interested.
Couple teaser pics:
Built the main frame upside down to make my life easier as far as welding goes, then I lowered it down to the floor and dragged it outside and flipped it over then rolled it back into the garage.
xwg7PgN.jpg

r5mV4qHl.jpg

7FIenmPl.jpg

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
Excellent work! Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Me too! LOL this BS going on has held up the floor/sides which will be formed so I will only have one seam up the middle.
I'll go ahead and add to the story in the next few days. I have details and quite a few pictures.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I enjoy reading and seeing different builds. You can always pick up more ideas by seeing someone’s take on a build. Incorporate all the great ideas on your next project

mickeyw

Good Post Points
Welder
Butters 180A MIG, R-Tech 160A AC/DC TIG, R-Tech P50HF Plasma Cutter
Man, you have showed us this much and we're all dribbling with anticipation
Full build thread please :D

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
Specs are as follows: The main frame is 6" channel and the dump frame is 4" channel and I have an 18" overhang. I built the hinges out of some 3/8" x 3 1/2" angle iron with 1/5" piece coming off the dump frame and another 1/2" piece on the opposite side. I used a 1" grade 8 bolt for the pin. I was going to use some free to me mobile home axles but by the time I was to convert them to normal wheel and brakes it was only a few dollars more to buy new axles. They are 6K axles de-rated to 5200# because I went with 6 lug wheels.
I collect parts "in case I ever want to build something" so I had in my shop a 5" bore by 30" stroke hydraulic cylinder, some redneck engineering for placement and there it is. I happened to have bought a like new 12 volt hydraulic pump that has been in the shed for a few years. I paid $40 for the cylinder at a scrap yard back when scrap was up, it is virtually new and I paid $50 for the power pack. My goal was to build this for 2K but I'm sure that is out the window now but, I figure no matter what it ends up costing me I will have a dump trailer built better than anything I've seen build commercially. I should mention that in 2011 I took an old camper frame and built a light duty 58" by 10' dump trailer that the frame rusted out on, I patched it and sold it with full disclosure.
I made the lower cylinder mounts out of some 1/2" scrap, I made a wooden template and cut them out, drilled the 1.5" holes for the pins on the drill press with a hole saw.
Any questions feel free to ask.
I am waiting on the bed/sides to be broke for me. They will be half the floor, up the side and then the 2" x 1" lip on top so I will only have one seam down the middle.
This Corona BS has them stalled!
The cross tube for the cylinder mount is 2x6x.250 wall
pGpHNojl.jpg

WiZUEqsl.jpg

I ordered the axles the same as the MH ones with the spring pad on the top but after installing them I decided it was too high so I welded on new ads and put the axles over the springs.Much better height now!
tHHuhr8l.jpg

tUtkGy5l.jpg

7FIenmPl.jpg

The only thing with the pump I have is it only has a 1/4" outlet so it's mighty sloooow....The reservoir isn't big enough so I welded a bung into the tank and added a hose to the rod side of the cylinder so now that fluid is part of the reservoir. The pump is power up, gravity down.
Ee0spNtl.jpg

dsMfLgfl.jpg

ZUwrnFpl.jpg

I could have used it today! I have a logger friend that lets me clean up the landings of the leftovers, I load it on the car trailer with my tractor and unload it by hand...

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
Thank you!
One thing I forgot to mention is that I made the tongue 2' longer than normal (whatever that is) mine is 6' long , it will be home to a crane of sorts. I will have a gas powered hydraulic pump and bank of valves to run up/down, pivot, and telescope as well as out riggers and it will power the dump bed.
I could have used the trailer these last two days! LOL

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
One thing I forgot to mention is that I made the tongue 2' longer than normal (whatever that is) mine is 6' long , it will be home to a crane of sorts. I will have a gas powered hydraulic pump and bank of valves to run up/down, pivot, and telescope as well as out riggers and it will power the dump bed.
How are you planning to build the pivot mechanism? I'd like to build something like that in the future and that definitely seem like the most difficult part. Built a small crane for my truck that uses a hub from a Dana 80 truck axle for the pivot but it'd need to be something bigger for what you're describing.

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
How are you planning to build the pivot mechanism? I'd like to build something like that in the future and that definitely seem like the most difficult part. Built a small crane for my truck that uses a hub from a Dana 80 truck axle for the pivot but it'd need to be something bigger for what you're describing.
I'm not a hundred percent sure just yet...lol
I have one I had on a pickup that is basically a 4" pipe inside a 4 1/4" pipe with a solid top and a bearing and race on top. It will lift a lot. I'm not really needing to lift a ton, I'll be happy to lift 4-500 lbs at 8' out. Mostly want it for pulling up to a log landing and dragging pieces over with the winch that will be on it and then lift them into the trailer. Look at a simple engine hoist and they say they can lift a ton at about 30-32" . I have thought of using a heavy wheel hub like you or even an entire tag axle out of a heavy truck. I'm still searching.

Edit to add: the bed/sides are supposed to be built this week :)
Here is a youtoob vid of it tipping, it a bit slow as the pump i have only has a 1/4" outlet on it. But hey it works!

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
I'm not a hundred percent sure just yet...lol
I have one I had on a pickup that is basically a 4" pipe inside a 4 1/4" pipe with a solid top and a bearing and race on top. It will lift a lot. I'm not really needing to lift a ton, I'll be happy to lift 4-500 lbs at 8' out. Mostly want it for pulling up to a log landing and dragging pieces over with the winch that will be on it and then lift them into the trailer.
Mine'd probably lift that much I imagine, although it doesn't extend 8'. I posted a picture of it on another thread here lifting 1500 lbs at about 3 ft. You may be able to just use a hub like mine for that kind of weight. I'd be looking to pick 2500-3000 at that distance.

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
Mine'd probably lift that much I imagine, although it doesn't extend 8'. I posted a picture of it on another thread here lifting 1500 lbs at about 3 ft. You may be able to just use a hub like mine for that kind of weight. I'd be looking to pick 2500-3000 at that distance.
You need an autocrane. I've found a bunch of them reasonably priced but too big for what I want.

• Good Post
Reactions: SIO

Coboata1

Good Post Points
Welder
1965 LIncoln SA200, Miller Dialarc HF, Hobart Stickmate AC/DC, Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC, Oxyfuel.
How do you determine axle placement?

Chriser3006

Good Post Points
Welder
miller
Couple teaser pics:
Built the main frame upside down to make my life easier as far as welding goes, then I lowered it down to the floor and dragged it outside and flipped it over then rolled it back into the garage.
xwg7PgN.jpg

r5mV4qHl.jpg

7FIenmPl.jpg

Attachments

• 20160530_190525_001.jpg
    20160530_190525_001.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 23

Chriser3006

Good Post Points
Welder
miller
Couple teaser pics:
xwg7PgN.jpg

r5mV4qHl.jpg

7FIenmPl.jpg

Attachments

• 20160530_190525_001.jpg
    20160530_190525_001.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 5

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
How do you determine axle placement?
Well.....I usually use the 60-40 rule but in this case I had to account for the weight of the crane so I actually moved them forward on the dump bed a bit, they are 6" rear of center of the bed. I didn't want too much tongue weight. I think it will be fine. I can get you all the actual measurements if you would like.

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
A little progress today. I picked up new E rated bias ply trailer tires and new white spoke wheels (made in USA) (I wanted black but they were out) along with some 14 ga "Jeep" style fenders :)
I got the tires mounted and installed, I tightened all the suspension bolts while I had the tires off. I am using greaseable bolts and I put the grease fitting to the inside.
They normally mount the tires to the wheels but with this crap going on they were short handed and I told them I could do it.
The bed/sides never got ordered last week but he told me he is going to order them today.
I have decided I will mount the fenders to the frame instead of the box, I think they will be more solid. I am also going to put two 2 x 12's on the deck and haul my Jeep to PA the first part of June. I picked up some steel to reinforce the ramp that I have, I bought one of those galvanized steel catwalks with the holes punched up in them. I'll post some pics of them once they are done.
Forgot to mention I got a 25% off code from Advance auto towards a deep cycle battery, it's a group 29, it's huge! I got it with core for $89
VgRDP70l.jpg

stCVuvml.jpg

qtnfhI0l.jpg

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
Well this power pack with two long cylinders (around 4') popped up on FB Marketplace this morning, after chatting back and forth I hopped in the truck and went to pick it up. It came out of a camper, it ran the slides. Cylinders are about 4' long. I am going to use them for booming the crane boom in and out.
The young guy was a scrapper of sorts and we got to talking and I told him I was looking for a crane, he said "like an engine crane" and I said "sort of" then he showed me this one, I bought for a Franklin :) I think it will be a great start.
I'll probably sell the power pack.
vO90EN9l.jpg

Long piece by the garage door goes inside it
9BKInqMl.jpg

sU6AT5nl.jpg

fbSatpCl.jpg