.030 tips for Harbor Freight mig owners.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Are they not the same size as the Vulcan and Titanium contact tips? My old Airco MIG runs a much smaller diameter threaded end than my HF rig.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Not sure, they are the same diameter as my Hobart, about 3/16ths, they just don't screw in all the way, unlike the Hobart ones do,

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I just bought some Vulcan tips (about 3/16" diameter)and they screw in fine in my Titanium rig.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Then these should work for you. I though they were all the same length, but two were about an 1/8 longer than the other 6. You should have them around Tuesday.
Thanks. The way I arc out the tips, I will need them for sure.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I need a ceramic cup that will fit my Titanium FCAW rig that will provide some protection from arcing the contact tip. Anyone know where I might find one?

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Not sure if they make one, but you can get FCAW nozzles, HF carries a set of the flux core nozzles, if those wont fit, might look into the ma]or brands.

You can also get ceramic coating in a spray can, Locktite has one

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have the flux core nozzle on it and have on order the 2 pack but they dont cover the contact tip. I was looking for something like the MIG welder cup that keeps the contact tip covered.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
The ceramic spray is likely the best option, supposedly it lasts up to 6 hours. You could send the mig nozzles out and have them ceramic coated like headers, not sure how it would hold up on such a small surface.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Not sure if they make one, but you can get FCAW nozzles, HF carries a set of the flux core nozzles, if those wont fit, might look into the ma]or brands.

You can also get ceramic coating in a spray can, Locktite has one
What works well for anti-spatter and is super cheap is PAM cooking spray. I bought a can labelled for high temp grills and it works great. Rather short lived but it isnt $40 per can.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I need a ceramic cup that will fit my Titanium FCAW rig that will provide some protection from arcing the contact tip. Anyone know where I might find one?
By arching, do you mean fusing the tip to your material, or actual energy arching from the tip to the material?

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Kind of thought that might be it, can you get a MIG nozzle for the Titanium? If you can't, the Hobart Handler and MVP guns have a 9/16" diameter where the MIG nozzle sits..

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Then these should work for you. I though they were all the same length, but two were about an 1/8 longer than the other 6. You should have them around Tuesday.
Got the tips today and thanks BUT they dont fit my Titanium FCAW torch either. I mic'd mine and the Chicago Electric ones that you sent. Mine are .234 and those are .244.
If anyone has a Chicago Electric MIG welder that uses .244 diameter at the threaded end, let me know and I will send them along to the next guy. I have a friend with a Hobart 140 and he might can use them. They are for .030 wire.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Is the thread pitch the same? If so, and you have a die set with the correct die, you might see if there is enough material to recut the threads, if they wont work for your friend.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Is the thread pitch the same? If so, and you have a die set with the correct die, you might see if there is enough material to recut the threads, if they wont work for your friend.
I do have a tap and die set. I will see if I have the correct die for my tips. It should be too hard to cut .010 off and rethread.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I took your advice and checked out my tap and die set. FYI after I opened up the tape and dumped all of them out, there was only 2 odd ball tips that were long threads and they were both 1/4"x20 threads the other 6 fit perfectly. Unlucky me, out of 8, I pulled one of the two for checking yesterday.

I checked my tips with my thread gauge and mine are M6x1.0 threads for the Titanium FCAW gun which I think all the HF ones are. I did a rethread on the 2 long one and now they screw into my gun but have a lot of thread sticking out. I dont think that will hurt anything though since they bottom out OK which is what they need to do. I do wonder now if those sold as American made like Hobart and Lincoln use a 1/4x20 thread and the Chinese use metric threads.

Anyone with Lincoln or Hobart that has thread gauge or tap and die sets feel like checking their tip for thread size?

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Good to hear. I knew I had had issues with the length as well as not threading easily must have been two separate issues.
The long ones were likely the Lincoln ones, that I picked up from Home Depot figuring the tips were all the same.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I do wonder now if those sold as American made like Hobart and Lincoln use a 1/4x20 thread and the Chinese use metric threads.

Anyone with Lincoln or Hobart that has thread gauge or tap and die sets feel like checking their tip for thread size?
Just checked my Hoabarts, and they are 24, which is why I had issues with both.