Wire

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
I do home repairs and hobbies with my welder. I am using .030 solid wire through my HH140. What is the best bang for your buck, or best all around use welding wire?
I used Hobart brand for a while, then switched to Harbor Freight brand, Vulcan, and it has more sparks and splatter. How do other brands perform in comparison to others?

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Pretty much get what you pay for. There are a couple diamonds in the rough out there but they mainly come from the larger OEM companies like Hobart, Lincoln, ESAB etc. I personally wouldn't use HF wire at all. Others have some luck with it.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I have a Handler 190 and have stuck with Hobart wire. I mainly use .030 even on thin gauge because I get a bigger spot weld with it. I have used some wire from Praxair and it works well also. Just easier to buy from a local farm supply that has sales quite a bit on wire.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Thanks for the replies. I am currently using the Harbor Freight brand, which isn't bad, but throws more sparks than the Hobart brand. I think I am returning to the Hobart wire.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I just bought some .025 Vulcan MIG wire and I agree that it does throw lots of sparks but it does feed and weld smooth with my Vulcan OmniPro 220. I needed some to do a repair to a customers lawnmower deck and didnt want to drive to my LWS since HF was a lot closer. Unfortunately all they had was an 11# spool for $34 so I guess I will be welding with it for a while. I also picked up a .30cal ammo can to store my 2# spools of wire in and tossed in a couple of small gel packs to take up any moisture that it may have in it.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Hobart or Lincoln here -----dont waste money on off brands
Those brands are great if you are making pressure vessels, but for my everyday use, the Vulcan wire from HF works well enough. I dont waste money on brand name unless the cheaper brands dont work for me. A few extra sparks from HF wire dont bother me enough that I am willing to spend twice as much per pound for Lincoln wire. The weld appearance and weldability is good enough that I dont think any one could identify which is which in the as welded condition.

WranglerX

Good Post Points
Welder
HObart handler 140
Personally I like "Prostar" S-6 with C25 in my HH 140.... Like it so well I found a deal on a 5 roll (2#) bundle and bought it, not going to run out of wire for a while.... Usually when I get spatter, its when I am not watching my stick out very well.......

This link seem to (refresh) help me when my weld go to crap...

Dale