What is this?

California

Good Post Points
I was given a half dozen of these. What is it?
Rated capacity?

Glove is shown for scale. Before some wiseass identifies that, instead
laughing.gif

534991d1515479610-what-some-kind-tiedown-20180105_170654rwhatisit-clip-jpg

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Something for sailboat sails to run em up? Trapping? Not sure how much pull the cable connectors would take. :unsure:

Burns

Good Post Points
In the 60 when I started Iron work I had 1 of this on my tool belt to hang my 12 in. cresent on

woodreaux

Good Post Points
Welder
lincoln ac dc+/- "Tombstone" stick welder
Rated capacity?

laughing.gif

I have about a dozen of similar rigs only with about a foot of cable and the clip on a loop at the end, heavy duty but will stick your finger if you get to the unprotected end of the small cable! I have no idea where I got them though or what their original purpose was.

Beerslayer

Good Post Points
Welder
ESAB Rebel EMP 285ic
Never seen one of those, and I've seen some weird things. My gut reaction is that it's bait to trap a curious alien. Put it out in a lonely spot with an LED strobe so they are sure to see it. They couldn't resist it! Set game cameras all around as we wouldn't want to actually trap an alien. Just take pics. Unintended consequences and all.

If you think this is a viable strategy let me know. I'm just north of California and would bring beer.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Might be aviation related, as the crimps are nicopressed, if that helps.
(nicropres is the tool to crimp)

California

Good Post Points
Might be aviation related, as the crimps are nicopressed, if that helps.
(nicropres is the tool to crimp)
Possibly.

I have two batches of identical units. The first few were from Dad's yard sale shopping adventures 30 years ago, and around the time an AFB closed down.

The recent half dozen are from a friend who bids government surplus auctions, I think mostly from the maintenance shop of a state university nearby. So I was guessing they are from some kind of cargo holddown for shipping. But none are stretched, which I would expect to see on at least one holddown. Still a mystery!

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
OK here is my wild guess.
HD shower curtain hooks, like maybe even to hang welding curtains in an assembly line.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Rated capacity?

laughing.gif

No idea what original purpose was. Cable looks like 1/8" so might be good for 500 # with a good safety margin if the crimp will hold that is. Hook looks substantial so it will definitely hold more than the cable. I think Piloon might be closest to the right answer.

California

Good Post Points
I still don't know what these were intended for. But after having several in my junk bin for years, I finally found a use for two of them.

I have a platform that I carry on loader forks, or on the 3-point forks I built for my tractor. I use lightweight chains to secure loads onto the platform.

I removed the cables from two of those mystery objects then mounted them on the platform's backstop, Now I have something to attach those chains to. The chains are just to keep things from bouncing off the platform going over rough ground, not a high stress application. Now what to do with the remaining ones? Oh well at least I finally found an application for some of them.

20200808_175843rHookModifiedForChain.jpg