WeldingSite contest idea, need your suggestions

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I for one think that this forum is off to a great start. I was a little concerned about whether we'd have any members stick around past the first day but it's been a couple of weeks and I'm liking the action. So far we've done a bit of promotion via a link on TractorByNet and PMs on LawnMowerForum---it's great to see diversity of topics brought on by those different perspectives. But we haven't invited our ~200,000 friends from TractorByNet over yet.

So, I want to make a bit of a splash when we do that, and my idea is to do this with a contest.

The contest will run for a month and feature a number of friendly community building tasks to give people free entries into the contest. Then at the end of the month, we'll do a drawing to pick three winners.

What I need your suggestions on, is prizes. I was thinking of one grand prize (a welder), a runner up prize, and a third place. My prize related questions are:

- What brand of welder should we give away?
- What would be a good runner up prize? (figure up to $150 price range)
- What would be a good third place prize? (up to $50 price range)

All items should be related to welding in one way or another.

California

Good Post Points
You may need to allow the winner his choice of welders. Awarding the wrong brand might cause the contest to be ignored by 4/5 of the potential contestants. :)

Owners are as loyal to their brand as tractor owners.

I like the idea.

poncho62

Good Post Points
I am thinking maybe a gift card towards the cost of a welder or whatever the prizes are. If that could be done........Would save on shipping etc.

Lis2323

Good Post Points
I am thinking maybe a gift card towards the cost of a welder or whatever the prizes are. If that could be done........Would save on shipping etc.

If I was an entrant this is what I would prefer.

If I was MC I would have a chosen machine for the obvious financially beneficial reasons.

sea2summit

Good Post Points
Whatever company wants to be a site sponsor. I think we could all bend the bonds of brand loyalty for that...otherwise blue.

A gift certificate to an online welding supply place would be cool. Refill on consumables.

Welding square or clamps for third prize. Can never seem to keep enough clamps around and I’ve only welded one square to something and run the torch over one...so could probably still use a spare of those too :poop:

Other thought is a good hood, gloves, or other PPE of the latest trend to try out.

• Good Post
Reactions: MC

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
a little late to the party but I would say a 1st place prize = a choice of gift card to either a suppler like airgas/proxair or whatever big box store close to the winner or a welder determined by the site admin unless a vendor would be willing to donate a machine, I am a Lincoln fan but I personally wouldn't turn down a machine from weld pro or similar.
2cd amazon card for consumables
3rd ppe of some kind

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
a little late to the party but I would say a 1st place prize = a choice of gift card to either a suppler like airgas/proxair or whatever big box store close to the winner or a welder determined by the site admin unless a vendor would be willing to donate a machine, I am a Lincoln fan but I personally wouldn't turn down a machine from weld pro or similar.
2cd amazon card for consumables
3rd ppe of some kind

Are you sure you didn't already see our list of prizes? ?

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
I have not, are they posted?

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I have not, are they posted?

Yes, check this thread:

Lis2323

Good Post Points
I for one think that this forum is off to a great start. I was a little concerned about whether we'd have any members stick around past the first day but it's been a couple of weeks and I'm liking the action. So far we've done a bit of promotion via a link on TractorByNet and PMs on LawnMowerForum---it's great to see diversity of topics brought on by those different perspectives. But we haven't invited our ~200,000 friends from TractorByNet over yet.

So, I want to make a bit of a splash when we do that, and my idea is to do this with a contest.

The contest will run for a month and feature a number of friendly community building tasks to give people free entries into the contest. Then at the end of the month, we'll do a drawing to pick three winners.

What I need your suggestions on, is prizes. I was thinking of one grand prize (a welder), a runner up prize, and a third place. My prize related questions are:

- What brand of welder should we give away?
- What would be a good runner up prize? (figure up to $150 price range)
- What would be a good third place prize? (up to $50 price range)

All items should be related to welding in one way or another.

I have to admit your idea seems to be a resounding success so far. TONS of new posters and traffic. Congrats.

This would be a great concept to model after for those on dating apps. Respond with bio and photos for a chance to win a date and $X gift certificate at fine dining establishment of MY choice.

• Good Post

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I have to admit your idea seems to be a resounding success so far. TONS of new posters and traffic. Congrats.

This would be a great concept to model after for those on dating apps. Respond with bio and photos for a chance to win a date and $X gift certificate at fine dining establishment of MY choice.

That's probably not a bad idea! Or you'd just hear from everybody who just wanted a free meal?

Either way I'm hoping the contest fun continues... definitely more action than I was expecting!

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
With lots of extra time on people hands with many businesses being closed, this sight got my attention. The bonus of possibly winning something useful, is a definite plus.maybe you could do quarterly or monthly additional giveaways, with the addition of some sponsorship.

• Good Post