Welding/Chassis Table

dadz34

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln MIG 255 & TIG 175
My dad & I built this back in 1999 to straighten out a new chassis I paid top dollar to a knucklehead who way over-promised his capabilities. While it's big, it sure has come in handy over the years. I installed the top plate about 6-7 years ago to build a chassis for my son's 1951 Chevy Truck. I need to build a vice stand now as I've never been able to bring myself to bolt it to my table. I like the flat working area too much.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_134f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_134e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_176a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1878.jpg

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Why don’t you mount the vise on a 2” square mount like tow hitch material ( two would be better for stability)with a mounting plate, mounted under the top, so when it’s removed , the top is still unaltered.

dadz34

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln MIG 255 & TIG 175
Why don’t you mount the vise on a 2” square mount like tow hitch material ( two would be better for stability)with a mounting plate, mounted under the top, so when it’s removed , the top is still unaltered.
I've considered that for a while...but figured I would have to machine the receiver/post so as to limit the play. If it had any play in it at all, it would drive me crazy. I think set screws could lock it down...

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Or instead of a couple hitch pins, use a couple bolts with washers and tighten them up. Two hitches would pull against each other to keep it from wiggling

dstig1

Good Post Points
Go take a look at my welding table thread here and you will see how I did the hitch receivers to keep things solid.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
You can also mount a couple plates, with two or 3 holes set in a triangle shape, so when you bolt it on, it can not move up down or side to side

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
OR, drill and tap your table to bolt the vise on. Then if you need the entire flat surface, just unbolt it and remove the vise. Personally, I would weld a bracket on to the end of the table to mount the vise then you would still have the whole table free to use. You could build a swing down table but for it to be stable, it would require some machined joints which it looks like your shop would be more than capable of doing. Add a strong spring to assist in raising the vise up to lock in place.