Welded up log splitter.

Lennyzx11

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart MVP210, Hobart Stickmate LX. Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC
I drug home a wood splitter with a bent tongue and the pivot hinge and jack ripped loose.
Guy said he had loaned it to an in law.
Spent an enjoyable afternoon out in the shop with radio and wood stove cutting the bad pieces out with my Hypertherm air 30 and cordless grinders. Then welding in angle iron reinforcements as needed with my Hobart 210MVP mig welder.

Now it’s better than new.

Some days are just good.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I drug home a wood splitter with a bent tongue and the pivot hinge and jack ripped loose.
Guy said he had loaned it to an in law.
Spent an enjoyable afternoon out in the shop with radio and wood stove cutting the bad pieces out with my Hypertherm air 30 and cordless grinders. Then welding in angle iron reinforcements as needed with my Hobart 210MVP mig welder.

Now it’s better than new.

Some days are just good.
Sounds more like an outlaw and I hope he has the sense to not loan it out to him again. Nice project to keep you occupied for an afternoon. That is the kind of stuff I like to find to do.

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
I recently did some general maintenance on mine...while I had it by the garage I remembered I had been wanting a side table...$70-100 online and light duty...used some scrap angle iron and rebar to make one. Doing firewood last weekend made me really glad I did...

Attachments

• 20201018_112346.jpg
    20201018_112346.jpg
    928.5 KB · Views: 58

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I recently did some general maintenance on mine...while I had it by the garage I remembered I had been wanting a side table...$70-100 online and light duty...used some scrap angle iron and rebar to make one. Doing firewood last weekend made me really glad I did...
I suppose you have seen these with hydraulic lift side tables that you roll a piece up on and hydraulic cylinder raises it up. It wouldn't be terribly expensive to make one of those and would sure save the old back for sure.

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
Mine can go from horizontal to vertical, so if I am on a bunch of heavy rounds I just switch positions.

I have seen the setups you described, it would be nice but I just dont use enou GB h wood to justify one.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Mine can go from horizontal to vertical, so if I am on a bunch of heavy rounds I just switch positions.

I have seen the setups you described, it would be nice but I just dont use enou GB h wood to justify one.
There you go being practical again. This is a welding site where we all buy $1000 + welding machines to burn 10# of wire a year.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Im still burning rod with a free lincoln tombstone...
A Lincoln tombstone AC only machine was what I used on the farm back in the early '70s. NO AC 7018 back then but I still ran them fairly well. I use that machine to build 2 each 40' long x 8' wide trailers that hauled 12.000 pounds of cotton to the gin every fall. They were still in use 20 years later (last time I checked on them). I built everything on them except the axle stubs/hubs, rims and tires.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Same here.
Good old AC stick welder that served me very well.
So far everything I have 'stuck' together is still holding.

But then I recently got me a wire machine that I can't quite make work as it should.
But then it is a 'cheepo' from an offshore firm.