Welcome to Welding Site!

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I hope you like the setup. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

The bones are here and should be working well but I have a few things on the to-do list:

- We will enable TapaTalk tomorrow
- Forum icons will be the torch instead of the "paper" news thing
- Custom fields for user profiles?
- Should Projects and Fabrication be merged?

Let me know your thoughts!

ptsg

Good Post Points
Thank you Muhammad. This will be awesome.

I would suggest a Machining section maybe?

Also, I'm liking this new platform. Is this like also a test for the future of TBN?

larryfoster

Good Post Points
Thank you for this site.

I have never struck an arc or laid a bead
Yet.
A while back I bought one of those $100 Harbor Freight welders but haven't tried anything yet.
To me, welding is one of those arcane mysteries whose knowledge and skills are reserved for special people.

It seemed like something I should get to mess around with to see if I could do anything other than make slag.

I have now used all the welding terms I know in this post.
:rolleyes:

California

Good Post Points
I have never struck an arc or laid a bead. Yet.
A while back I bought one of those $100 Harbor Freight welders but haven't tried anything yet.
Welcome! You've come to the right place.

The older HF blue 'Mig' (flux) welder, the more recent black version, or a stick welder?

If the old blue 110 volt mig variety, I struggled with one and went back to mostly using my stick welder. Those are hard to learn on because there aren't enough adjustments to match it to the thickness of material, and you need a reasonable match to neither burn through or just leave useless 'bird-droppings' on the surface. The later black ones are supposed to be better, I haven't tried one of those.

Do you have a specific project in mind?

dstig1

Good Post Points
I would add location to the user display on each post. It really makes a big difference to have an idea where people are when responding to many posts. Even if they are not super specific.

chuckinnc

Good Post Points
I hope you like the setup. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

The bones are here and should be working well but I have a few things on the to-do list:

- We will enable TapaTalk tomorrow
- Forum icons will be the torch instead of the "paper" news thing
- Custom fields for user profiles?
- Should Projects and Fabrication be merged?

Let me know your thoughts!

I would like to see a [plasma cutter] added to the forums, sense almost everyone has a cheap Chinese Plasma anyway

chuckinnc

Good Post Points
I would like to see a [plasma cutter] added to the forums, sense almost everyone has a cheap Chinese Plasma anyway

I forgot to add, maybe a [spot welder] section added to the forum would help some, I have one and like the Chinese plasma cutter I am still trying to learn the process and actual uses for them

BigBlue

Good Post Points
I really would prefer the forum interface that TBN uses. I don't allow web sites to run scripts (mostly) so the functionality of the editor interface leaves a lot to be desired on this site compared to TBN. There are only 2-3 lines visible at a time and no 'preview' button. Even with scripts enabled the editor pane is only 4 lines visible at a time.

I'm a fan of simple and consistent. You wanted folks from TBN to join here, so keep it similar. Most folks don't need fancy forum features. Maybe you could accomplish this by offering different views or skins to users. Some forums do that.

Rob

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I really would prefer the forum interface that TBN uses. I don't allow web sites to run scripts (mostly) so the functionality of the editor interface leaves a lot to be desired on this site compared to TBN. There are only 2-3 lines visible at a time and no 'preview' button. Even with scripts enabled the editor pane is only 4 lines visible at a time.

I'm a fan of simple and consistent. You wanted folks from TBN to join here, so keep it similar. Most folks don't need fancy forum features. Maybe you could accomplish this by offering different views or skins to users. Some forums do that.

Rob

Are you talking about the window where you compose a message? I assume you're on a desktop computer?

Here's what I see on my phone while typing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200422-195855_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200422-195855_Chrome.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 7

BigBlue

Good Post Points
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. This is what I see:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 6

BigBlue

Good Post Points
And before anyone jumps on to say "well you have scripting turned off... turn it on and it will be better!!"... Yes, I realize that. But I don't like allowing sites to run any scripting they want so I leave it off mostly. Lots of people use NoScript and the site should not be handicapped when they do. And on TBN the compose window is just fine with scripting turned off:

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5