Ways to clean MIG gun liner

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
The other day I was using my wire welder on part of a project when then wire just stopped feeding. I looked up to see the gun had come out of the welder. I know what happened though. I changed my liner from a .035-.045 back to the factory .025-035 and forgot to tighten the hold down screw. I reinstalled it, but after that it wouldn't feed anymore. I removed the liner and tried to pull the wire, but it was jammed and broke off. I didn't see any other way to fix it except to buy a new liner. It got me thinking though. How does everybody else maintain their liners and how often should maintenance be done?

Last edited:

flyerdan

Good Post Points
If the wire broke off and you can't grab it from either end, you're pretty much done. First, inspect and see if there is a kink or bend that's causing it to bind, if there isn't a flaw it could be a hook on the wire end that hung up.
If one end is still sticking out, clamp the wire in a vise and stretch the liner out. Don't pull on it, but gently give a little side to side shake to set up an oscillation that might get the wire started coming out. Once it's clear dunk the liner in the parts washer and blow it out with a rubber tip air gun (not one of the poncy OSHA approved ones that won't blow a leaf off a car hood, a real one). That assumes a spiral wound liner, not a teflon or rubber lined one that solvents might attack.
I always run one of those felt wiper pads on the wire, even dry they keep dust and grit from following the wire into the liner.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I did notice a grit that looked like the wire might have been leaving shavings that built up over time. Kind of like crushed charcoal. Once the wire broke off I just headed to the welding supply. I tried to snip a little of the liner hoping to leave the wire intact to give me something to pull, but it was a no go. Just a maintenance lesson I guess. I'll probably start cleaning it after every spool of wire now.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
You could have the rollers too tight which is causing the "shavings" to break off and accumulate in the liner. Tighten the roller just enough to exert enough pressure that it will bend the wire when it is 2-3" from the tip. Note- make sure there is no ground when doing this test,

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
You could have the rollers too tight which is causing the "shavings" to break off and accumulate in the liner. Tighten the roller just enough to exert enough pressure that it will bend the wire when it is 2-3" from the tip. Note- make sure there is no ground when doing this test,

I do notice that the knurled roller leaves marks. I can see them with the light from the arc. I only have the roller tight enough to push the wire though. The drive roller tension knob is labeled 1-5, with 1-3 being the setting for flux core wire. I have it set right at 1. That setting will feed everything from .030-.045. I always saw the marks on the wire and never thought about the part that might get shaved off. If the roller is pushing lines in the wire, there's a little raised spot at the edges more than likely. That's what was built up around the entrance to the liner.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Using a Teflon liner rather than a wound wire liner will solve that problem. Also using a felt pad with a little bit of Anti-splatter on it to lubricate will assist in cleaning the wire and letting it run smoothly thru the liner. Dont forget to occasionally re-lube the felt.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Looks like the .045 liner will be put back into service. I tried to sell the NR 212, and didn't have any takers. I'll use it before I just give it away. Only had 1 offer of $30 shipped. Looks like it's getting burned by me.