Tractor chain storage

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
When I first moved to the country, I read of what happens if you keep a chain on the tractors footboards and it falls off into a brush hog...i had a chain holder made out of pvc and secured to the fender...but it broke after years of abuse...

While using the tractor yesterday I was going to get off and slipped on the chain sitting on the footboard, almost tumbling off...so. I took some scrap and started making a new chain holder.

Attachments

• 20201220_162608.jpg
    20201220_162608.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 217

California

Good Post Points
That's doing it right.

I lashed on a golf bag in that location to carry orchard tools and chains. Later I added a kid-size golf bag by the front loader pedestal, I carry the chains in there now.
Both bags rest on a firm support so the weight of the chains isn't supported by the bag. These photos are from 2006 and the bags are still holding up ok.

P1030448rGolfTractor1.jpg P1030489rGolfTractor2.jpg P1030633rGolfBagToolCarrier-front.jpg

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
That's doing it right.

I lashed on a golf bag in that location to carry orchard tools and chains. Later I added a kid-size golf bag by the front loader pedestal, I carry the chains in there now.
Both bags rest on a firm support so the weight of the chains isn't supported by the bag. These photos are from 2006 and the bags are still holding up ok.

View attachment 1431 View attachment 1432 View attachment 1433
If it is crazy, but works, its not crazy...in the end all that matters is if it is safe, is useful, and works...

I may tack on a piece of pipe to hold a pair of loppers.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I so rarely need a chain on my B26 that I dont have any thing to hold it. When I need a chain, I just drape it between the chain hooks on the FEL and hook it back to itself so it is tight. That works for me. If I need a shovel for example when I am filling up a few potholes in the yard, I just shove it thru the pipe in the FEL loader arms.
Most of my work that requires that I carry tools, I use my Kubota RTV and just throw everything in the bed. That is the best perk for having a second piece of equipment to complement the tractor. I try to never put anything in the FEL bucket because I always forget that it is in there and either dump it out or fill the bucket with dirt and it gets all over whatever I was carrying.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I’m out in the heavy forest, so although the ground is somewhat flat, there’s lots of bumping around, which shakes everything loose. I keep a chain with hooks attached to the rear 3 point arms and QH, where it’s totally out of the way. I belt strap everything in place, so no matter what, it can’t shake and rattle loose