tractor broke

guitarman

Good Post Points
Welder
montgomery ward/Century 230 amp ac/dc also a little harbor freight 90amp flux core
did some on my jinma tractor little sputter but seems to be holding ok was three point. I'm wondering if some out there with more experience know what best rod is for cast steel I used 6011 because thats what I had.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Best if you are certain what the material is. Does it say cast steel in a manual or something? I'm guessing it's cast iron?

LostValley

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Wire Feed, very old stick welder and an oxy/acetylene setup.
Had a hub split on New Holland hay baler. Part went with wheel. The rest staiyed on spindle. A buddy who is pretty good welder and I bored and threaded some spots then ran Aircraft quality bolts into them after cleaning up both sides for good fit. Next we ground a groove following the join. About 1/4 wide by 1/4 deep. Then took care and time to weld a good continuous bead making sure the weld had penetrated the hub metal.
Nothing quite like having the baler lose a wheel during use. Good thing it was the last hay field.Hope this helps or gives an idea.

Scremes

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 350P
Assuming you have a stick welder, grab some nickel 55 electrode from your local dealer. Photos attached are from my neighbors backhoe. The piece that broke is to align the hoe bucket and other items. You’ll need to clean up the area, preheat and peen after welding. The arm of the backhoe even says to not weld. It’s held for over 2 years now. 912991CF-09C9-4ADE-A312-CDF5959AF521.jpeg04C37704-1088-4FF1-9736-279821DEE0DE.jpeg8769931C-951D-441E-9A4F-1686EABE210D.jpeg04C37704-1088-4FF1-9736-279821DEE0DE.jpeg8769931C-951D-441E-9A4F-1686EABE210D.jpeg

sonny580

Good Post Points
Nickle rod will hold if you prepare the part right both before welding and after. 6011 won't work at all.--- that's for steel not cast iron.

guitarman

Good Post Points
Welder
montgomery ward/Century 230 amp ac/dc also a little harbor freight 90amp flux core
I checked with dealer and several sources and from past repairs have verified it to be cast steel

guitarman

Good Post Points
Welder
I'm guessing its cast steel because its been machine faced and drilled and threaded been told cast iron can not be machined !!
I worked as a machinist and tool and die maker for close to 30 years I can assure you cast iron can and is machinable. Most engine blocks are cast iron

Nathan902

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 251, Miller Syncrowave 200, Esab lunchbox,Lindie
Cast iron can be machined, and is the most common type of metal on a tractor, I recommend a tricast rod useally found in small quantities at your local welding supply company, blueshield MNR tricast is what I use and have had a lot of luck, you need to vee out the crack as much as you possibly can and then heat the part hot as possible propane burner works good, bonfire, bbq, tiger torch etc, then when you start welding run a bead on one side of the crack then one bead on the other side, then you “bridge the two with your third bead repeat this until the vee’ed out crack is full then wrap your part in insulation or bury it in dry sand allowing it to cool slowly. Also the easiest way to tell cast iron from cast steel or regular steel is the sparks of a grinder, cast iron will have short dim sparkler like sparks while steel will have bright sparks that will travel about 10’. Hope this helps. Also you can do these steps with 7018 it’s not recommended but will do for a quick fix and actually tends to hold.

axeman79

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
any body had any succes welding cast steel wheel hub have bronzed piece back on but lets go under heavy load. regards Alan
I have welding cast steel on a backhoe. I clean up the metal and make a first pass with 6011 (my welder won't run 6010). then I run 7018, if available, or 7014 as a final for strength and appearance. One thing to note is that you should grind a path for the weld rather than welding directly to a crack...you'll get better penetration.

pull-do

Good Post Points
Welder
trailblazer, tweco fabricator
cast iron = nickel base stick rod or heli-arc with nickel base wire
cast steel = 7018 stick rod

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I'm guessing its cast steel because its been machine faced and drilled and threaded been told cast iron can not be machined !!
According to the Youtube video by ABOM79 (check out his web channel) cast iron machines really well. I have watched him make many items using cast iron and machining it.

Aside from that, I think most parts on tractors are cast steel. I have welded on the axle housing on my old Yanmar reattaching the 3 point lift arm bracket that wouldn't stay bolted on no matter what I did to keep the bolts tight. I used 7018 since that is what I had and it is still holding.

I dont recommend 60xx rods though since they get quit brittle when welding cast. Get some low hydrogen in 7018, 8018 or 10018 and the weld will hold very well.