tig, scratch ot pedal?

spot-on

Good Post Points
Welder
amature
I recently bought a lightly used Millermatic 200 mig, tig & stick along with a spool gun.
Have done quite a bit of mig & some stick but never any tig which i'd really like to try and accomplish. My problem is the welder didn't come with a foot pedal, I've read that it can be scratch started.
My ?, should I buy a foot pedal or try to perfect a scratch start since it'll be basically a hobby fun thing for me and patch welding sheet metal when needed on car/truck resto that I tinker with some and not for sale work
All suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

etpm

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Goldstar, Miller MIG, Lincoln SP125 Plus, Lincoln 200 amp TIG
If you can navigate past all the effin' spam then I have a reply for you. If the machine can use a pedal then get one. One of the HUGE advantages of TIG with the pedal is the ability to vary the amperage as needed. For example, if you are welding aluminum a lot of amperage is needed at first to bring the metal up the heat but then you need much fewer amps to keep welding. If you are exeprienced with TIG welding aluminum then you can get by with scratch start but it really takes a lot of practice. Steel is more forgiving but for a beginner not so much. But that's with metal the same thickness. One of the huge benefits of TIG welding is being able to weld metals of different thicknesses together. So you can weld 1/8 material to 3/8 material. This is done by using the pedal to vary the amperage while welding. More amps for the thicker metal, less for the thinner. This is a very common situation. And I am just barely touching on the different situations where a foot pedal makes a job possible whereas scratch would make the job impossible. And especially for someone new to TIG welding. It's kinda like if your car was either full throttle or at idle and you were just learning how to drive. 10 MPH or 90 MPH. Get the pedal.
Eric

drb1215

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
With the Millermatic 200 the foot pedal is used to control the amperage, from 0 to what you have the machine set to. It has nothing to do with starting, other than the amount of amps you initially use. The Millermatic 200 uses what they refer to as Lift Arc, not high frequency where when you step on the pedal an arc is created between the tungsten and the material. With Lift Arc, you basically touch the tungsten to the material, wait a couple of seconds, and slowly lift the tungsten away from the material to start the arc. It is slightly different from a "scratch start" where you have a match striking action.

Also, with the Millermatic 200 you cannot tig weld aluminum. You need to have A/C tig for aluminum and the 200 is a DC tig only.

Hope that helps.

kayco53

Good Post Points
Welder
systematics
Having foot pedal is nice and used in many shops because of the control you get. Having worked Boiler Jobs for many years in the field. Think Power plant and Pulp Mills the standard is scratch start and you either set the machine manually at the panel or if you have a remote control that you can adjust up there with you. With the remote you stop welding while you adjust. With the foot metal you can control it while welding. Nice if there is a inconsistent gap or a change in thickness etc. Think you will be fine with out a foot pedal. You might one just because it is easier nothing wrong with that. But you can try it and then decide. No downside to getting one. (You know you want one) Good luck

spot-on

Good Post Points
Welder
amature
Thanks fellows for your response, it's greatly appreciated. As soon as my Dr gives me a go from y shoulder replacement I'm looking forward to practicing it.
Thanks again, Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year