safety and basics

Tim_in_IA

Good Post Points
Hi Everyone.

I've owned several welders for several years now. I've never turned them on. Frankly I'm afraid of electrocuting myself or something else stupid. I've got a hobart 140 mig welder that I'd like to start with and I have some basic welding to put a replacement floor in a 4 wheeller that rusted and I need to repair the frame on the back of my jeep. Welds don't have to look sexy. I also have a couple dialarc welders that I may need for the frame work if the 140 wont cut it.

Really I am looking for basics on how to get started without electrocuting myself and what the basics are. I am very able with tools and I've done soldering in addition to much automotive repair and electrical wiring. Just need to know how to get started or get pointed in the right direction.

Thank you

poncho62

Good Post Points
Welcome Tim
I will let the more experienced guys give you advice on the welding part, but I can pretty much assure you, you will not electrocute yourself.

dstig1

Good Post Points
It is pretty hard to electrocute yourself welding, especially if you are inside and it is not a wet area. People will tell you if they are sweating a ton and your clothes/gloves are soaked, then it is possible under the right conditions to get zapped, but it is just enough to feel like you should "stop that" not enough to kill or hurt. I've had it happen with wet gloves and High Frequency start TIG when i forgot to attach the work clamp (ground) and you get a little tingle, kind of like touching a 9V battery to your tongue. Enough to wake you up, not enough to hurt you. Now if you have a pacemaker or other electronic medical implant, then you need to be more careful, especially if using TIG with the HF start and you should check with Doc/mfg of your implant. Most welding voltages are very low - Often 15-30V, and about the worst it gets is up to 90V for the Open circuit voltage (OCV) when stick welding with some old stick welders. If you are curious, you should be able to find the OCV of your various welders. If it activates with a trigger or foot pedal of some sort, then there is probably zero OCV until you pull the switch.

Tim_in_IA

Good Post Points
It is pretty hard to electrocute yourself welding, especially if you are inside and it is not a wet area. People will tell you if they are sweating a ton and your clothes/gloves are soaked, then it is possible under the right conditions to get zapped, but it is just enough to feel like you should "stop that" not enough to kill or hurt. I've had it happen with wet gloves and High Frequency start TIG when i forgot to attach the work clamp (ground) and you get a little tingle, kind of like touching a 9V battery to your tongue. Enough to wake you up, not enough to hurt you. Now if you have a pacemaker or other electronic medical implant, then you need to be more careful, especially if using TIG with the HF start and you should check with Doc/mfg of your implant. Most welding voltages are very low - Often 15-30V, and about the worst it gets is up to 90V for the Open circuit voltage (OCV) when stick welding with some old stick welders. If you are curious, you should be able to find the OCV of your various welders. If it activates with a trigger or foot pedal of some sort, then there is probably zero OCV until you pull the switch.

Thanks Dave! I watched some videos on youtube related to my welder and it seems pretty simple to me now. I'm going to get some welding clothing and better gloves I think and I'll give it a go.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
Tim I will warn you that the frame of your jeep will not weld the same as hot or cold rolled steel, it melts away much faster so I would recommend starting off cold and working the voltage up. I wish I could tell you the proper way to weld it but I never figured it out and since I only had to do it 2 or 3 times in 30 years I have never tried to research it.