Rebuilding car and equipment hauler trailers

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Time to do a major service on my sons toy box hauler camping trailer. The tires were just replaced with All Steel 14 ply ST tires. What a Major difference in toe ability and smoothness. I ordered a set of new “dual axle equalizers” ( the linkage pieces between the dual axles) upgrades to a much more Robust set, with wet bolts and bronze bushings. The side shackles are 1/2” thick material as well, and all the bolts have zirc fittings. I’ve used these before, another major improvement that makes Drive ability sooooo much better than old worn out stock parts. 820A99D8-6111-4326-AAD4-C0473EC1C484.png820A99D8-6111-4326-AAD4-C0473EC1C484.png

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
The kits are pretty cheap really. Standard kits are around $50. The wet bolts and bronze bushings adds about $30.we got the super heavy duty kit for the toy box with 1/4 inch thick side plates and wet bolts for a little over $100. It’s the labor that would really add a lot of cost to the set up. These are regular maintenance items that most people don’t ever maintain till they fail, then complain that they failed, after 15 years of never being serviced or greased.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Thanks for the info. I guess I am one of those that never check them. We dont have to deal with salt corrosion here. I have never seen that part fail on a trailer. The trailers they sell here dont have any grease fitting on them.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
There good or 5 or 10 years without any work. They just get dry, running down the road in the heat and rain. You can take it apart, add grease, put it all back together, or install the wet bolts so you can grease the zirc once in a while and not worry about it