Possible new welder?

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln

Anyone know much about these? I have a chance to pick one up for a song, I just don't know if I have enough power to run it. I have 240V in my (mostly outdoor) work space, but it's a long cord, powered off a double 40 amp breaker. I run my 220V compressor, all manner of 110 power tools with no problem, but have never tried anything with this much draw. I have often toyed with the idea of picking up a cheap buzz box machine that will weld DC, but always backed off because of the concerns about lack of power out there.

A quick search hasn't turned up much in the way of specs for this machine, and I'm looking for guesses as to how much amperage it might draw. I expect most of my use for it would be DC, and probably 100 - 110 amp setting. Not much continuous work. Just something for the quick jobs so I don't have to start the portable unit.

California

Good Post Points
Just do it, You won't regret it.

Worst case you're sacrificing maybe the top 10% of possible welding power, at the end of that long extension cord. How often do you weld 1/4" and up? If you can run a 240 volt compressor then you likely don't have a problem at all.

Worst case you can sell it for what you paid. The one from that auction went for $110 but missing the leads. If you have found one comparable, and complete, for $150 or less then you won't lose anything if you re-sell it so you aren't risking anything.

How much amperage does it draw? Welders that size typically recommed a 50 amp breaker to weld at maximum current, but you seldom need that much power. So far I've never tripped the 30 amp breaker that my 230A-AC welder is plugged into.

That Century welder isn't unique. Find the manual for anything with similar specs (and also transformer-based) and it will generally apply to the Century as well.

Last edited:

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
The majority of DIY welding is never continuous nor using 3/16 rod so I'm sure 40 amp circuit will have you covered.
Also that machine probably has a 90% duty cycle when using 1/8 rods and well within the 40 amp draw.
Go for it!