oxy regulator adapter

corvairbob

Good Post Points
i have the ozy acc setup but now acc is getting way more than i want tp pay for the little i use it. the last tank i got i not only turned off the tank at the valve i loosened the regulator as well and still i lost the gas. so what i want to do is just use propane. but i need to find an adapter that will let me connect the acc regulator to the propane tanks. this way i can use that same gas for the grill as well. i have not been able to get the name of the device or even a picture of one. i emailed the local welding shop and they did not return my email and i also emailed the local college and he would not tell me even though he said he know of them. and i'm an alumni of the college. so maybe someone here can help out. thanks

welding seabee

Good Post Points
Your acetylene regulator is the same. All fuel gases use the same tank valve. Do it all the time. You will need special tips to use your cutting attachment. Get a 00 tip, probably all you will ever need.. It will cut up to 1/2"+ material easy,. Most non-pros use too big a tip and wonder why they get all the slag buildup.

Propane has less heat value than acet so the heating orifices are arranged to compensate, different way of mixing the acet and 02. I hear you on the price of acet. Still need it to weld steel, propane won't work. Steel welding needs the carbon in the acet. Soldering, brazing, and heating you can use your regular O/A tips.

LOL, Ron

Willweld

Good Post Points
Yes the acc regulator works well on propane. A normal cutting tip will work it just takes longer to preheat, a propane tip works much better and cleaner. No you can't weld steel, but works excellent for most non ferrous metals if you use the right flux. I WELD aluminum with propane as it is at a lower temperature. You can use different alloy TIG rods or Mig wire. Kent White at TM Technology sells a good flux for aluminum. He sells other accessories and instructions on how to weld with gas torch. I don't have his special filter lens for this welding, but I would get one, saves your eyes. I started using Allstate flux cored rod when needed to weld up a friends chainsaw handle bars.Worked great and found out that I could get rod the to WELD the aluminum, it would mix with base metal. I've since learned to use AL rods with flux but you have to match the alloys of the rods with the base metal. I couldn't find blue Cobalt lenses for eye protection and I did'n know about Kent White's lenses. A friend does ornamental glass work and uses clear Blue plastic lenses where the standard gas ones will not get rid of sodium yellow flare on glass melting. The Blue lenses made the aluminum flux yellow flare go away. A clear view of your weld puddle . You can still see the flux fumes but they look like heat waves on a highway in the summer. I could see the weld area well enough to notice that heated area of the base metal would swell up kind of like a small blister when it was time to weld, no real color change. But maybe hint of light pink, the next step was a shiny puddle on the floor and a big hole in the handlebars. I would not recommend the Blue plastic lenses their use is your choice and your choice alone. Kent White's TM lenses are the way to go, they are expensive but what are your eyes worth? I have also learned to gas weld cast iron with an oxyfuel torch. An old blacksmith gave me some Ferro flux and taught me to weld cast iron with a gas torch along time ago. Eastwood tools sells metal working tools they also produce instructional videos on how to weld different types of metals. Good Stuff, They don't just sell tools but also how to use their tools. So does Kent White at TM Technology. Check them both out

corvairbob

Good Post Points
thanks ron. you know i did see the threads inside the propane tanks but i did not try the regulator. thanks for bringing that to my attention. i have the 00 tips, so i should be set now that i was reminded of those.

one thing i may also do is hook up the air regulator i have to the compressor and make it into an air over torch. not as hot but hotter than plain propane. thanks.

welding seabee

Good Post Points
Be very careful there! Your torch may not provide the right air/propane mixture to create a stable flame. Definitely will not work for cutting, never get hot enough even with a stable flame. Let us know results. LOL, Ron

corvairbob

Good Post Points
thanks ron but we did this at one shop i worked at years ago. and i did it in the army when we ran out of oxy. used the same principle as the air torch but having a it more pressure gave us a bit more heat. did not cut any metal but had more than enough heat for forging and bending. also did lots of brazing. never tried gas welding as brazing was much easier. thanks.

welding seabee

Good Post Points
thanks ron but we did this at one shop i worked at years ago. and i did it in the army when we ran out of oxy. used the same principle as the air torch but having a it more pressure gave us a bit more heat. did not cut any metal but had more than enough heat for forging and bending. also did lots of brazing. never tried gas welding as brazing was much easier. thanks.
Never heard of it before. I had 33 yeas with the military, Navy Seabees, yes we got very innovative. One time in Vietnam we ran out of cast iron plumbing fittings and needed to finish before the waiting concrete crew. I told my crew leader (I was the company commander); go get an OA outfit and a bunch of brazing rod, flux, and a 4 " grinder with cutoff. I proceeded to show him how to fabricate Ys, and combo, pieces and braze them together. If the Ops officer had of known what we were doing he would of stopped a critical job and I would have been in hack. Worked out fine. We even smoothed out the insides with the torch.

Ron

Cobraone

Good Post Points
Never heard of it before. I had 33 yeas with the military, Navy Seabees, yes we got very innovative. One time in Vietnam we ran out of cast iron plumbing fittings and needed to finish before the waiting concrete crew. I told my crew leader (I was the company commander); go get an OA outfit and a bunch of brazing rod, flux, and a 4 " grinder with cutoff. I proceeded to show him how to fabricate Ys, and combo, pieces and braze them together. If the Ops officer had of known what we were doing he would of stopped a critical job and I would have been in hack. Worked out fine. We even smoothed out the insides with the torch.

Ron

thank you for your service!

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I'm going to have to try this air technique. Never heard of such a thing but seems doable. I worry about a burn back into the mixer but I'll start with way high pressure and work back til I get a good flame.

woodreaux

Good Post Points
Welder
lincoln ac dc+/- "Tombstone" stick welder
Yes the acc regulator works well on propane. A normal cutting tip will work it just takes longer to preheat, a propane tip works much better and cleaner. No you can't weld steel, but works excellent for most non ferrous metals if you use the right flux. I WELD aluminum with propane as it is at a lower temperature. You can use different alloy TIG rods or Mig wire. Kent White at TM Technology sells a good flux for aluminum. He sells other accessories and instructions on how to weld with gas torch. I don't have his special filter lens for this welding, but I would get one, saves your eyes. I started using Allstate flux cored rod when needed to weld up a friends chainsaw handle bars.Worked great and found out that I could get rod the to WELD the aluminum, it would mix with base metal. I've since learned to use AL rods with flux but you have to match the alloys of the rods with the base metal. I couldn't find blue Cobalt lenses for eye protection and I did'n know about Kent White's lenses. A friend does ornamental glass work and uses clear Blue plastic lenses where the standard gas ones will not get rid of sodium yellow flare on glass melting. The Blue lenses made the aluminum flux yellow flare go away. A clear view of your weld puddle . You can still see the flux fumes but they look like heat waves on a highway in the summer. I could see the weld area well enough to notice that heated area of the base metal would swell up kind of like a small blister when it was time to weld, no real color change. But maybe hint of light pink, the next step was a shiny puddle on the floor and a big hole in the handlebars. I would not recommend the Blue plastic lenses their use is your choice and your choice alone. Kent White's TM lenses are the way to go, they are expensive but what are your eyes worth? I have also learned to gas weld cast iron with an oxyfuel torch. An old blacksmith gave me some Ferro flux and taught me to weld cast iron with a gas torch along time ago. Eastwood tools sells metal working tools they also produce instructional videos on how to weld different types of metals. Good Stuff, They don't just sell tools but also how to use their tools. So does Kent White at TM Technology. Check them both out
I would like to know about gas welding cast iron...please tell me more! Woodreaux

Tombstone

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln buzz box AC, Everlast 160 DC
About the acc leak: I've seen several acc tanks leak around at the point where the valve screws into the tank.

Willweld

Good Post Points
i have the oxy acetylene setup but now acetylene is getting way more than i want tp pay for the little i use it. the last tank i got i not only turned off the tank at the valve i loosened the regulator as well and still i lost the gas. so what i want to do is just use propane. but i need to find an adapter that will let me connect the acc regulator to the propane tanks. this way i can use that same gas for the grill as well. i have not been able to get the name of the device or even a picture of one. i emailed the local welding shop and they did not return my email and i also emailed the local college and he would not tell me even though he said he know of them. and i'm an alumni of the college. so maybe someone here can help out. thanks

Bob, A good welding store should be able to furnish a propane cutting tip for your torch If you can't find one at a shop use the internet to find your cutting torch manufacturer. Take the head from your torch when you go shopping the tip from one brand will sometimes be the same as another brand. People cutting up a lot of scrap steel often use propane with O2 , it cuts just as well if not cleaner than acetylene, much cheaper. The propane tip has many more preheat flames than the 5 or 6 with the acetylene. My tip works on both my torches an antique Pureox {Linde, Union Carbide} and a newer import. It is a two part tip with a many grooved inner mandrel instead of round preheat holes this matches the ports in the torch head for the preheat flames and the O2 cutting port with a single round hole. The outer barrel that fits over the inner mandrel and looks very much like a normal tip. On the flame end the ports are recessed about 3/32" instead of being flush with the very tip. I've never had to use tip drills or recut the tip end. I'm not a pro and I sometimes get too close to the molten slag and have to gently clean the tip if it gets fouled. I really haven't noticed an increase of O2 usage over using this tip with instead of the acetylene one. The normal tip with only 5 preheat hole uses much more O2 and takes much longer to get hot enough to start cutting.
I have used the same propane tip for close to 40 yrs The size I have has worked well from thin sheet thru 1" with a very clean kerf, only 1/16" to 1/8" wide on 1" plate. Five gallon cyl of propane cuts 2X longer than my large acetylene tank. I haven't tried propane with my rosebud tip which I use to straighten 6x6 H beam, probably not enough BTUs.

Willweld

Good Post Points
Woodreau
Read my Apr 4 post both Eastwood and Kent White at TM Technologies have information on gas welding cast iron or maybe aluminum. Both have videos and deal with the automotive side of fabrication. Kent White himself has built custom cars and is passing along his personal experience good videos, books,tools, and on hand classes. . Eastwood has the same, when I was looking for aluminum and cast iron fluxes for gas welding I looked at their web site. Eastwood has many people that have a lot experience on things automotive. They are a much larger outfit, Kent White is basically a one man show passing along what he has learned. Eastwood's website has a good video of welding cast iron with a torch. Kent White I found over 20 yrs ago when I first started getting in sheet metal forming and I bought several of his books and videos on forming and welding aluminum, his gas flux for AL is excellent. He developed a safety lens for gas welding because he was concerned about our eyesight. I haven't found anything better. Both companies are a good place to start more of your learning.
Even if you only weld up one exhaust manifold for a Allis Chalmers Model C tractor you'll learn something. Or maybe repair an old aluminum pot. I still have some cast iron wood stoves to repair. There a lot of folks out there with experience an knowledge.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
There are many great cast repair products. Starting with standard low fuming bronze ( brazing rod ) Then you can up it to Nickel Silver which is very good and an actual powdered, stamped cast iron rod with cast iron flux. This gives nearly perfect color match. Another thing to be aware of is spray powder. Victor and others sell a spray powder torch setup that does fantastic cast iron repairs. Cast repairs vary so much that you almost have to choose filler material on a case by case basis. Then you can get into the Nickel stick electrodes and the stainless options. Tig and Mig are doable options too depending on what your repair needs are.

Willweld

Good Post Points
Thank You Yomax4,
It is good to hear from someone who has a lot more experience with cast iron welding especially with a gas torch. Like I said before I'm not a PRO welder with no formal or certified skills. I would like to know more about avaiabily and brand of powdered, stamped casts iron rod with flux. I learned that I could use a gas torch for welding repair of cast iron and aluminum from a elderly blacksmith who didn't have an arc welder until the late 1950's. He wasn't practicing his art when I got to know him, other than repair on his farm. He gave me his Hossfeld #2 Bender for steel bending after I built a front porch railing for him for his new home. He had me use 1 1/2" black pipe. He told me how to put the needed curves in it with just my forge, a torch, hammer and anvil. This wasn't a work of art like a spiral staircase just simple curves. Well simple until I got to the down turned rams horn ends put on the street side bottom curving ends. The final ends were hemispherical domes done with heat, hammer. torch, and filing. The 8" inside radius 3/4 turn rams horn ends were the challenge. They took a while, the curving was done by heating many times, tapping gently on a large block of wood on the floor. As the curves slowly formed I had to keep adjusting the pipe cross section from egg shaping or kinking with light 2# hammer blows either on the anvil or the wood block. After doing mirror ends on the top rails, which were very close, the rest of the curves for the top at the house to the bottom steps were quite simple. straight vertical posts. The plates that fastened to the house were a shield shaped 1/4" heated and hammered to look like wrought iron with pyramid hammered 1" square head lag bolts.
All done and railing mounted. We then walked out to his shop. He had me help him drag out a bunch of scrap in a dark back corner. He told me the project could have easier if I would have had this pile of scrap pieces. It was the Hossfeld Bender and he gave it to me for building the railings. Best payment I ever have had. Still is paying me 35 years later.
Yes I got off the subject of this thread subject. The reason was the blacksmith was testing me to see if I would use what he wanted to pass on. Cast Iron Ferro Flux and torch rods were soon to follow, and their usage. He gave a pile of piston rings to use if I ran out of commercial rod. They work just as well as the store bought rod they are made out of cast iron.. I have cut across sections of base metal and the welds and I can't see a difference in color or grain. The welds have held up for me through all kinds of normal abuse vibration, hammering. extreme cold, and wood fire heat For me this form of welding cast iron works well with out a large hunk of preheated metal hard to get close to and use nickel electrodes with no peening. The only preheating I've needed was for a few minutes with the torch in the general area of the V'd out crack or joint, you need to need to drill the end of the crack always. I would not recommend on using this form of welding on anything structural or otherwise with the possibility of anything that could be life threatening. You do it at your own risk. Get a Professional .

Willweld

Good Post Points
Yomax4
I guess I got a bit wordy. The only things I've welded up were utilitarian repairs. water pumps, frying pans, intake and exhaust manifolds, broken feet on old electrical motors, cast iron brackets, ornaments, old farm implements, wood stove lid lifter handle and misc, parts, etc. I once tried to repair a 250 chevy engine outside water jacket with Nirod and arc welder. That didn't work well. Maybe not enough preheating, too long of beads, not enough peening, and not enough annealing and slow cool down. I5 minutes later lots of pinging and a spider web of new cracks instead of one 4" crack. Too expensive a learning curve. Get a PRO or buy a good block. I'll have to try mig and tig , which I have equipment for. Internal inert gas for closed vessels? Too limited funds for metal spray, buy a new shaft. After 74 years I don't Need too many more toys, just have to find somebody to pass on to who will use them. Just like my elderly blacksmith friend did. Projects keep your mind working and other things maybe a bit slower.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Yomax4
I guess I got a bit wordy. The only things I've welded up were utilitarian repairs. water pumps, frying pans, intake and exhaust manifolds, broken feet on old electrical motors, cast iron brackets, ornaments, old farm implements, wood stove lid lifter handle and misc, parts, etc. I once tried to repair a 250 chevy engine outside water jacket with Nirod and arc welder. That didn't work well. Maybe not enough preheating, too long of beads, not enough peening, and not enough annealing and slow cool down. I5 minutes later lots of pinging and a spider web of new cracks instead of one 4" crack. Too expensive a learning curve. Get a PRO or buy a good block. I'll have to try mig and tig , which I have equipment for. Internal inert gas for closed vessels? Too limited funds for metal spray, buy a new shaft. After 74 years I don't Need too many more toys, just have to find somebody to pass on to who will use them. Just like my elderly blacksmith friend did. Projects keep your mind working and other things maybe a bit slower.
Send me your address and I'll send you some cast iron repair stuff to mess with.