No gas welders?

Good Post Points
Are there no people who weld with gas (oxy-fuel)?
On 3/8 thick metal or less, I find this to be very enjoyable.

• Good Post
Reactions: SIO

njtinman2001

Good Post Points
i used to gas weld back in the 70's and the early 80's and than 110 migs became cheap, now for thin steel the mig is quick and less heat than gas. but to do copper
pipe i use a torch for silver solder and silver bearing solder for a/c lines

welding seabee

Good Post Points
See we are coming out of the bushes. I am actually a better O/A welder than Arc; although, I was ASME certified on power piping and pressure vessels with both (back in my younger day). Worked as a UA pipefitter. Normally went out as a fitter but welding skills kept me on the project longer when the pre-fab welding phase died down. Also worked commercial/industrial refrigeration so did a lot of soldering and brazing also. I started in refrigeration, but quickly realized that broadening my skill set meant less time waiting for the next job. Can count on one hand the times I drew unemployment. Amazing how most trade workers tend to specialize. Welders spent more time on the bench than fitters, especially the fitters who also could weld.

Ron

flyerdan

Good Post Points
I have an O/A setup that my dad had, primarily just use the rosebud now but have all the tips and torch. Between, MIG, TIG and a plasma cutter, it doesn't get used much.

propane1

Good Post Points
I learned to use torches when I was 16. Bronze rod and steel rod, I like. Once you learn how to weld with torches, you never forget. No matter how long its been since I welded, it just like riding a bike, you never forget, you just pick it up and do it. I am using a stick welder now, and we have a small mig welder, that I can't seem to use very well. Its only 75 amps. I call it the half welder, hehe. I like the stick welder, I'm not that good with it either, but better than mig. I like the stick welder because you just buy rods, and away you go.

Now a little about me, I am a hobbyist/backyard welder with no training in any type of welder, what so ever. So if i say things that are not normal welding talk and terms, this is the reason.

This site seems to be working on my computer, but not on my phone thing, I'm not very good with the phone things either. i have two children that can help me with that, hopefully. Can't post pictures from computer.

Noel

poncho62

Good Post Points
Welcome Noel, glad you could make it.
I just tried this site on my phone, on both Google and Tapatalk...it works for me. The XenForo format that they use is designed for mobile use, phones, tablets etc...That is why so many forums are going to it these days.

Good Post Points
I learned to use torches when I was 16. Bronze rod and steel rod, I like. Once you learn how to weld with torches, you never forget. No matter how long its been since I welded, it just like riding a bike, you never forget, you just pick it up and do it. I am using a stick welder now, and we have a small mig welder, that I can't seem to use very well. Its only 75 amps. I call it the half welder, hehe. I like the stick welder, I'm not that good with it either, but better than mig. I like the stick welder because you just buy rods, and away you go.

Now a little about me, I am a hobbyist/backyard welder with no training in any type of welder, what so ever. So if i say things that are not normal welding talk and terms, this is the reason.

This site seems to be working on my computer, but not on my phone thing, I'm not very good with the phone things either. i have two children that can help me with that, hopefully. Can't post pictures from computer.

Noel

Noel, what you said sounds like what I would say.
Mule

Yomax4

Good Post Points
There are a few descent aluminum solder and brazing products out there. One of the ones to try is plain old aluminum stick rod used as a brazing rod. Pre-heat to about 500 degrees. I smoke the weld area with acetylene smoke and then turn on the O2 and start to heat. When the black smoke goes away that is 500 degrees.

bigb

Good Post Points
I love my OA and I have a large setup with a Victor Journeyman, a Victor Ranger and an Oxweld torch. I have welding, heating & scarfing tips and cutting attachments to fit each. The Oxweld is my favorite torch. I also have a small setup (B) with a Smith little torch for tiny delicate work. I have gas savers set up on both sets.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I finally gave 1/8" aluminum diamond plate a try. Pretty rough for me with OA... I have plenty of scrap to get better...20200423_191340.jpg20200423_202506.jpg