New feller here

Iva Burnthare

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
Hello all,

New guy from Northwest Florida. Looking forward to discussions and learning from the brain trust here. I’ve got a Lincoln MiG welder and do a decent job but but doing better every day!

• Good Post
Reactions: MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
Welcome aboard! What do you weld, anything in particular?

Iva Burnthare

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
Thanks!

anything I can. My son bought me the welder and I love it. Lower end unit great for what I currently do. It.’s addicting. Now I find myself looking at Plasma units because I “have” to have one of those now and all the other goodies. ?. Having trouble finding metal to practice welding with but other than that I'm enjoying it. I’m going to run down to the local scrap metal facility and see if I can pickup some decent pieces to work with.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Spent years cutting metal by blade or cutoff wheel, nothing beats a plasma. If you don't plan on working with anything more than .125 plate, the 120vlt plasma cutter with a built in compressor, like the Hobart Airforce 12ci will work well enough. I started with the Airforce 12, but then added a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 40, though still use the Airforce 12 for small quick projects.

Iva Burnthare

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
For now that’s the plan. Get a 120v unit and go from there. I’ve been using the cutoff/grinding wheel but looking for a decent 120v plasma. Next project is building a metal frame to put a roof on my tractor.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
For now that’s the plan. Get a 120v unit and go from there. I’ve been using the cutoff/grinding wheel but looking for a decent 120v plasma. Next project is building a metal frame to put a roof on my tractor.
If you have an air compressor already, I would go with a 120/240 unit, the thermal dynamics cutmaster 40 is a 120/240vlt.