Never welded before

H2opdler

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 175
I was able to pick up a small mig welder and Im having trouble trying to get a weld to stick.
It seems as if most of the weld just sticks to the surface.
Any suggestions on what I could try ?

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
what wire are you using?

G-manbart

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Millermatic 252, Syncrowave 250DX, Miller Dialarc 250, Hobart Champion Elite, Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
We'll need a bit more info. What kind of welder and what voltage/wire feed speed were you running? How thick was the steel and how clean was it?

Generally speaking, if you're not getting penetration the material is too thick for your voltage/wire feed speed, but travel speed factors in as well. You probably have to increase the voltage/wire feed and slow your travel speed (make circles or a weave pattern).

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Most welders have a chart inside the cover, or read the instructions as to speed and heat range. If your not getting penetration, sounds like too cold, or too fast wire feed, and make sure the area is ground clean and grounded well. Practice on some scrap the same thickness first

axeman79

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
I was able to pick up a small mig welder and Im having trouble trying to get a weld to stick.
MIG welding can be difficult to set up. It sounds like you are doing Flux Core. Clean the metal surface well and make sure you are using the correct power setting for the wire you are using. Don't try to weld Flux Core with a solid wire...that won't work well.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I stick weld mainly and also have a set of torches.
Generally I have no or little problems with stick but then I purchased a 110 wire machine (cheap one) and it drives me nuts.
I wanted it to do thin stock that was under a stick machine's capabilities so a 110 looked OK.
No matter what speed setting it seems to want to spew wire at such a rapid rate that if I were to be fly fishing it would be ideal, LOL.
That and WOW, the sparks that fly!
Hey, I'll ark weld in the shop but with the wire machine I'd probably set the shop on fire 10 feet away.
Is it me? or am I simply in the dark.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
If it's a 115v welder ( on a piece of scrap ) turn voltage and wire all the way up. Back off the wire as you go until you get a nice hot weld.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Not knowing the welders you're using: make sure the polarity is set to DCEN using flux core wire (for those machines that can be switched), try the wire feed at only 1/4 of full speed with the heat set on high (I have a dc and ac 110v machine that won't weld faster than 30% wire feed using flux core), try to use multiple pass wire like Hobart E71T-11 (most GS wire won't weld to a previous weld).

Listen to the sound of the arc, should sound like frying bacon. Clean metal is not a must, flux core cleans as it welds, but cleaner does help. Some welders are setup to weld aluminum so their wire feed is fast at the higher setting. Flux core needs slow and steady to penetrate. I started with flux core machines and was surprised at how fast a good dc welder using gas will weld. I guess that's the difference between welding with solid wire and tube wire. With the limited power of some 110v welders, I've gotten solid flux core welds at very slow wire feed, usually 1.5 to 2.5 (on a 1 to 10 setting machine) depending on material thickness. Travel speed needs to be correct also to get a good weld. Too fast and it won't penetrate and sit on top, where too slow will burn through the base material. You want just fast enough that you don't burn through. Good luck.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I stick weld mainly and also have a set of torches.
Generally I have no or little problems with stick but then I purchased a 110 wire machine (cheap one) and it drives me nuts.
I wanted it to do thin stock that was under a stick machine's capabilities so a 110 looked OK.
No matter what speed setting it seems to want to spew wire at such a rapid rate that if I were to be fly fishing it would be ideal, LOL.
That and WOW, the sparks that fly!
Hey, I'll ark weld in the shop but with the wire machine I'd probably set the shop on fire 10 feet away.
Is it me? or am I simply in the dark.
Make sure the sound of the drive motor slows at a lower wire feed setting. If the wire doesn't creep out of the gun at the lowest setting the potentiometer for the wire feed may be faulty. I've found that flux core usually needs a slow wire feed speed to weld nice at any heat setting.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
My first welding project was out of necessity for the band I was in. I switched from playing guitar to bass to keyboard during our show and sang backing vocals. So I made a stand out of scrap handrail that worked well for me. Notice the settings on my first ever welder using E71T-11... still have the stand, but the band broke up over 2 years ago...

Attachments

• 20180617_103056.jpg
    20180617_103056.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180617_103339.jpg
    20180617_103339.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180621_102003.jpg
    20180621_102003.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180621_122337.jpg
    20180621_122337.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200524_074636.jpg
    20200524_074636.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200524_074750.jpg
    20200524_074750.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180621_122337.jpg
    20180621_122337.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200524_074636.jpg
    20200524_074636.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

qtrflash

Good Post Points
Welder
Very old 110v Craftsman Mig
All the above is good advice. You can also get some good visuals on YouTube as well as hear the sound of a good weld.
Dan

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I think the best overall way to get better welds, is having extra material and do a practice weld or two, get the settings right, then start on the project. Way less clean up, and welds you can be proud of

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Make sure the sound of the drive motor slows at a lower wire feed setting. If the wire doesn't creep out of the gun at the lowest setting the potentiometer for the wire feed may be faulty. I've found that flux core usually needs a slow wire feed speed to weld nice at any heat setting.

Read you , agree, my thought is either wrong pot installed or faulty.
I plan to open it up and replace or possibly add more resistance in series.
Just have to slow down that drive motor.
Do wish a schematic had been included but guess I can work around that.
In my past I was involved in aircraft electronics so I should be able to work out something.
Other than feed speed everything else seems to be as expected. Actually cleverly designed.

Shucks, I only paid $99.00 new and shipping included from 1/2 way across Canada.
Not in a rush, it was a whimsical buy.
I always have my stick welder and torches.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
When you pull the trigger (not welding) and run the wire speed dial up and down, does the wire speed up and slow down. If so, then the machine is likely working ok. I think Yomax has the right idea, turn it up on max then while welding, crank back on the wire feed till you get a good sizzle to the weld. Start on heavy material so you dont burn thru. Once the wire feed is set about right, you can crank back on the power a bit for thinner material so you arent burning thru.