My new creation

sonny580

Good Post Points
a friend of mine makes this and that just for the heck of it ----- I never could bring myself to do it! lol! --- bout gotta have a motor or tracks on it before I can get interested in it!
Looks like you do great work!

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I just don't have the imagination for art. I just barely get by with the projects that I feel like I have a use for.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I do junk art as a hobby, this is my latest. I do have a page on facebook, called "Yesterday's Junk". You can see what I have made there.
If it is made of steel, I can copy it but I dont have the imagination to design "art". Good job, I admire your talent.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
If it is made of steel, I can copy it but I dont have the imagination to design "art". Good job, I admire your talent.
Thank you. Some things just pop into my head, and I will make it. Only in the last 10 years, I could do this.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
a friend of mine makes this and that just for the heck of it ----- I never could bring myself to do it! lol! --- bout gotta have a motor or tracks on it before I can get interested in it!
Looks like you do great work!
Thank you.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Yep, junk art is fun.
And it is sellable as well.
Shovels, rakes old horse shoes are all nice stock to have on hand.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I just picked up a bucket full of large wrenches, and a stack of old circular saw blades. Should be able to get something done with these

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
I just picked up a bucket full of large wrenches, and a stack of old circular saw blades. Should be able to get something done with these
Get cooking with your cranium. Look at my Facebook page Yesterday's Junk. Copy and improve what I got.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I have a couple light bendable blades made from a large band saw blade. They hold a good edge and are flexible

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
How is the hardness? Heard of doing this.
They are really hard and if you dont overheat the metal when cutting out the shape, they dont require re-hardening. I do keep a bucket of oil around just in case I need to reharden. Just heat up the edge red hot and dip it. Leave the spine of the blade unhardened for flexibility.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have a big concrete saw blade that I will eventually use up making blades. I just have to be in a creative mood to work on knives though.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
They are really hard and if you dont overheat the metal when cutting out the shape, they dont require re-hardening. I do keep a bucket of oil around just in case I need to reharden. Just heat up the edge red hot and dip it. Leave the spine of the blade unhardened for flexibility.
I have seen where some become brittle.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have seen where some become brittle.
Those are likely to ones that were heat treated after shaping. The metal is already high carbon and hardened, any additional hardening will be too hard and easily break. Test it with a file to see how hard it is before heat treating it again.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Back when I was in the reserves we had lots of down time.
I used the Gov't bench grinders to shape a nice hunting knife from a large file.
Still have it and that cutting edge is so good that I can shave any time.
On a hunt we quartered and skinned a large moose and never needed to hone that blade as it kept such a fine edge.
(leather is a killer on cutting edges)
60 years ago and I still have and use it often.

Another good source of blade steel is those large power hacksaw blades.
I've made great scrapers and utility blades from them.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
There’s quite s few Ferrier’s/ blacksmiths around here that make knives and tools from old farm machinery, vehicle leaf springs, etc then fix antler and bone as handle material.

AKoz

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln MIG and stick
Very clever and imaginative. I lean toward the utilitarian so I am impressed when I see someone's artistic vision.